SHOW National Parks

Steamboat Geyser, Yellowstone National Park. The rock that is being ejected to the right of the water column, that looks like a dust speck, was probably the size of a watermelon. It was not uncommon to see rocks ejected during an eruption. The two eruptions I saw ranged between 300-400 feet in height. The average Old Faithful eruption reaches 123 feet with the highest measured at 186 feet.

DSCF1626-X3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF4705-X3.jpg

Last edited:
West Thumb Geyser Basin, Yellowstone NP, Wyoming

DSC02096.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

Doesn’t look like a place you’d want to be after a thunderstorm, though I guess you wouldn’t be there very long either way.
Slot canyons are so much fun. It is like another world. I can imagine that I am in some kind of fantasy book, like I'm sneaking into Mordor or something. But, I have to pay close attention to weather forecasts, not just for where the hike is but in the region that can feed into the canyon.

About a year after I did this canyon, Keyhole Canyon in Zion, there was a group that got caught in a flash flood here and died.
PA240018-X2.jpg

PA240017-X2.jpg

Slot canyons are so much fun. It is like another world. I can imagine that I am in some kind of fantasy book, like I'm sneaking into Mordor or something. But, I have to pay close attention to weather forecasts, not just for where the hike is but in the region that can feed into the canyon.

About a year after I did this canyon, Keyhole Canyon in Zion, there was a group that got caught in a flash flood here and died.
View attachment 288224

View attachment 288225
Yeah, folks can run into similar troubles exploring caves. I guess that risk is part of the thrill, but I’m a big fan of escape routes.

Back