SHOW National Parks

These aren't National Park photos, but are from inside Fantastic Caverns just North of Springfield, MO. It's an easy cave to visit for seniors, as you ride on a trailer to view it's interior. Very nice experience. Perhaps we should start a "Show Caves" thread.

PB080846.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
PB080848.JPG
PB080864.JPG
PB080868.JPG
PB080852.JPG

I have been to Carlsbad Caverns National Park. It’s an amazing experience, and worth a read. They have a good trail going in, and when you get to the end, you are 250ft under the earth’s surface. Fortunately, long ago they somehow installed elevators to get you back out. Also, every evening, thousand of bats exit the caves and is part of the experience.

Voila! Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico.

This is the natural entrance to Carlsbad Caverns. It is also where the bats fly out at dusk when the time of year is right.
DSC_2689-X3.jpg

DSC_2691-X3.jpg

Down inside the cavern.
DSC_2699-X2.jpg

DSC_2702-X2.jpg

DSC_2705-X2.jpg

DSC_2736-X3.jpg

DSC_2740-X2.jpg

Stella Lake, Great Basin National Park, Nevada.
NoProject_0640-X3.jpg

Cave Bacon in Lehman Caves which are also in Great Basin National Park.

Lehman%20Cave%20%2811%29-X3.jpg

Drip on a stalactite in Great Basin National Park. Probably took weeks for the drop to fall.

Lehman%20Cave%20%286%29-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Mmm! Thanks Dan, for the memory trip. I've walked that boardwalk to Clements Mountain several times in the distant past, and still clearly recall the memories and feelings that all of these images evoke.
It's a gorgeous walk through that meadow. That morning we arrived just after sunrise and there were only 1 or 2 other cars in the parking lot, along with bighorn sheep!

It's a gorgeous walk through that meadow. That morning we arrived just after sunrise and there were only 1 or 2 other cars in the parking lot, along with bighorn sheep!
Yup, I recall the Bighorns too. The first time we were there in the spring, some really big rams were in the parking lot licking up the salt that had fallen from cars on the way through the icy high country roads. And then when we got to the top, around the left side of the peak, there were ewes walking along the boardwalk with the people! Amazing sight.

We lived in Billings, MT for 25 years in another life and we spent a lot of time in the National Parks around the west. I really enjoyed the drive west through the Rockies, into Idaho, and then Washington State. We made that trip to The Coast fairly often. Ah, the great memories that come rolling back from the tomb of time.

We lived in Billings, MT for 25 years in another life and we spent a lot of time in the National Parks around the west. I really enjoyed the drive west through the Rockies, into Idaho, and then Washington State. We made that trip to The Coast fairly often. Ah, the great memories that come rolling back from the tomb of time.
So you probably drove through the Beartooths? One of my favorite places, even though I've only been a few times. The season is so short up there that it is hard to make a successful trip from here. But if I lived in Billings it would be an annual trip.

So you probably drove through the Beartooths? One of my favorite places, even though I've only been a few times. The season is so short up there that it is hard to make a successful trip from here. But if I lived in Billings it would be an annual trip.
We drove the interstate though Missoula on the way to the coast, but we always drove the Beartooth Highway as soon as the pass was open in the spring and then made frequent summer trips to Yellowstone. It was great while lit lasted, but with retirement came a whole new life, and we moved away from Billings for various reasons, not the least of which was the population explosion around Billings.

Death Valley National Park, California. This was in 2016 and there was a superbloom that year.
DSCF3092_v1-X3.jpg

DSCF3038_v1-X3.jpg

DSCF3241_v1-X3.jpg

DSCF3099_v1-X3.jpg

DSCF3126_v1-X3.jpg

DSCF3107_v1-X3.jpg

Back