Architecture Show "Old Building(s)"

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
P1030713.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

34966821565_b704bbcfc8_b.jpg

The Bank of Adelaide {Frontage} by Andrew Priest (Aushiker), on Flickr

The Bank of Adelaide (fmr), 60-64 High Street, Fremantle. This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of Waymarking.

The former Bank of Adelaide is historically significant as a former bank representing the development of Fremantle’s Old Port City as a centre of commerce and trade from the gold boom period of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The place is significant because, when viewed from the street, it is a substantially intact example of a commercial building which contributes to the very significant Old Port City of Fremantle.

I believe the building was built in 1910. In 1984 a third and fourth storey addition where proposed. The proposal was initially rejected by Council, however it was later approved, as seen in photographs dated 2002.

In 2011 the owner D Monk advised that the interior had been gutted and rebuilt for the America's Cup.

Christmas Island.

Not sure what this structure was but it was part local limestone block and part tunneled out cave. The doorways were concrete frames and the interior doors that were still intact were made of steel plate... The tunnel went a fair way back into the cliff but I didn’t have a torch (very, very rare occurance) so I couldn’t explore it properly.

IMG_2298.JPG

I think this building/complex was the old rail workshops...

IMG_2341.JPG

Last edited:
Back