Architecture Show "Old Building(s)"

50841367396_c1725106f4_h.jpg

Commercial Hotel, Dowerin, Western Australia
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Commercial Hotel, which today is heritage listed, was built in 1908 by FW Gustav Liebe who also constructed His Majesty's Theatre, Hay St Perth, and The Peninsular Hotel, Maylands, both of which are on the State Register of Heritage Buildings. Changes made to the fabric can be identified and illustrate periods of prosperity in Dowerin.

A little of its colourful history:

‘The opening of the Commercial Hotel on New Year's Day 1909 was celebrated in lavish style. About 100 people attended and some 75 residents partook of the midday meal at the invitation of the licensee. (The Northam Advertiser 9 January 1909)

The solid construction of the building was put to the test just six weeks after the opening when a tornado hit Dowerin. The original agricultural hall was destroyed and many buildings in the town were severely damaged, but the hurricane winds and torrential rain had little effect on the hotel. A large, galvanised iron tank just obtained by Rose was lifted off its stand, blown hundreds of metres and left in a battered and useless condition. A second empty water tank at the hotel would have suffered the same fate had it not been held down by several men until the rain partially filled it and anchored it down. But the building itself remained untouched. (The Northam Advertiser 24 February 1909)

Gascoyne Murchison Outback Pathway Exploration July-August 2020 - - #GMOPE 22.

3591EB98-3C81-462F-A05D-5D2983F2750E.jpeg
Sonoma County California, photo taken yesterday. My father built the front shed 45 years ago. I pulled off the blackberry canes that were engulfing it. The garage behind was built by my mother’s brothers in the 1920’s to house the family’s new automobile. The tank house in the background is similarly old but has been kept in repair.

29075144217_967098054d_h.jpg

Dôme des Invalides - PARIS-2018-24

2018 July France - UK holiday: The Dôme des Invalides, which contains Napoleon I's tomb, is the emblem of the Hôtel National des Invalides. A state funeral accompanied the return of Emperor Napoleon I's ashes, which were transferred to Les Invalides on 15 December 1840 while the tomb was being built.

Today the site is the Musée de l'Armée, a national military museum of France.

47163265641_f440068033_h.jpg

Villa les Roches - Langogne - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D4-2

Our accommodation for the night in Langogne, the Villa les Roches. It is located about 2 km from Langogne on the edge of a valley and below the level of the D71 so very quiet and peaceful. There are lovely views down the valley and the accommodation is very nice and laid out. The sunrooms seen on each level in the image catch the afternoon sun beautifully.

Day 4 of 12 - Langogne - Le Cheylard l’Evèque: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

48356411561_78191ab4c1_h.jpg

Home amongst the shutters - Fouzillac - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D4-19 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Robert Louis Stevenson had an interesting experience at Fouzillac and its near neighbour (350 metres along the road), Fouzillic. Our wander through the hamlets was in contrast quite uneventful, with this house on the outskirts of Fouzillac catching my attention.

Shutters wide open to provide some ventilation into the dark interior.

Day 4 of 12 - Langogne - Le Cheylard l’Evèque: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

48391473236_ec90ffeb6d_h.jpg

Le Rufuge Du Moure - Le Cheylard l’Evèque - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D5-01 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Our accommodation for the night in Le Cheylard l’Evèque was Le Refuge Du Moure. Probably a little more luxurious than what Robert Lois Stevenson experienced, which was the local inn. That inn BTW still exists in the village.

Day 5 of 12 - Le Cheylard l’Evèque to La Bastide-Puylaurent: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

51215261635_517b1bfc95_h.jpg

Meekatharra Hotel by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The rather colourful Meekatharra Hotel on the main street of Meekatharra. You can currently get a motel room for $99 a night if you are so inclined. One curiosity is that the hotel is not apparently heritage listed. There is one listed in town but not this one.

Gascoyne Murchison Outback Pathway Exploration July-August 2020 - #GMOPE 48.

51223452341_8851121f8c_h.jpg

Royal Mail Hotel, Meekatharra by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

One reviewer described it as their ‘worst nightmare’ but I think that was a touch harsh. It is Meekatharra after all.

The Meekatharra Shire Council heritage listing of the Royal Mail Hotel describes it thus:

‘Royal Mail Hotel demonstrates significant social significance as one of several hotels in Meekatharra providing continued hospitality. The strong presence in the main street gives the place landmark qualities.’

That I would suggest sums it up well.

51231330115_ad8d85b90d_h.jpg

Commercial Hotel, Meekatharra by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Commercial Hotel was established between 1907-1915 and is characterised by some fine stonework and pressed metal (tin) ceilings. Today it is apparently the best accommodation in Meekatharra if the reviews are anything to go by.

Gascoyne Murchison Outback Pathway Exploration July-August 2020 - #GMOPE 50.

Back