Architecture Show "Old Building(s)"

Z60_2976.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pottery.

M.

Well I could tell you this is Shakespeare's Globe theatre, built in 1599, rebuilt after a fire in 1614...

But it's actually a reconstruction from 1997.
Some would say, 'fake'.
But thousands of international tourists don't read the small print every year and go home thinking they've seen a 400 year old building.
L1011957.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5167468303_d7b0168d5c_c.jpg
Harwich's cinema by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

The Electric Palace in Harwich, one of England's first purpose built cinemas now 110 years old (Originally it was gas powered) & captured on one of the very few recent occasions it didn't have a load of cars parked directly outside!
It feels a bit of a cheek to call this old as it's younger than my house - but it is old for a cinema!

Last edited:
Well I could tell you this is Shakespeare's Globe theatre, built in 1599, rebuilt after a fire in 1614...

But it's actually a reconstruction from 1997.
Some would say, 'fake'.
But thousands of international tourists don't read the small print every year and go home thinking they've seen a 400 year old building.
It was actually being built the last time I walked along that part of the Thames (makes me feel old).
Most of those international tourists would have also seen the Tower of London which is about 900 years old IIRC so perhaps we can let them off. :)

Back