Show your panoramas

A beauty. It's great to click on and go to the largest size via Flickr.

All of you who've posted, when you can it really is nice to be able to click on them to see them in larger sizes, so as to be able to appreciate all the great details.:2thumbs:

So I guess it's a special panoramic software? And there are, no doubt, a number of them?

Here's one of mine taken some years ago when I had the C-5050 compact. It's my home town.

38171761_286f0d9230_b.jpg

If you want to start 'playing' with panos Microsoft makes a free pano stitcher called ICE (for Image Composite Editor) but only for Win 32 and 64 bit. If you get serious I recommend AutoPano Pro.

Here's another shot (dslr this time) from central Australia.

294397456_cff7f15870_b.jpg

An another from the goldfields 'ghost town' of Cue. (also with C-5050).

100418838_179f6fbcc4_b.jpg

So what techniques are y'all using to get panoramas? I've never tried one before. I have a feeling I should before I visit Morocco.

Use a tripod
Get it as level as possible. It is good if there is something straight to judge, e.g. a horizon and pan the camera and check.

Overlap each shot by 25% or so. Don't do too much as panoramic software gets confused. Don't do too little otherwise it won't know what to do.

For maximum resolution, shoot in portrait mode but this creates large files. You may need 6 or more shots this way.

For low resolution and easy, shoot in landscape mode and wide. You probably only need 3 shots this way.

Have a fair amount of excess at the top and bottom of each shot as the panorama software will sacrifice that to stich things together. It is proably best to keep foregrounds simple.

I use Camera Raw/Adobe CS5 but also have an older version of Arcsoft Panorama Maker however it isn't as good at joining stuff. Newer versions are probably better.

If you are shooting with an Olympus camera and use the built in panorama mode, you can use the Olympus Master software to join stuff up. I no longer use the panorama mode as I never shoot using the build in scene modes. Generally shooting at sunrise means you don't get the most suitable exposure with the panorama scene mode.

Start modestly with a 3-shot landscape and see how you go. Take it from there.

If it is of any help for someone, that's how I set my camera for panoramas: I set manual ISO speed, manual white balance and manual exposure. I do it in order to keep all images with the same settings. It is awful to ruin a panorama because the camera chose wrong white balance for the third picture for example.

That photograph settles it - I am going to come to visit you, Mark! No wonder your commute to work is so far - and so incredibly worth it!

I'm just about speechless with the beauty - and boy does this spur me on to wanting to move to a more countrified area! Wow!

P.S. And on a much less important, note - I need to learn how to do these panoramic photos!

djordjej - welcome and thanks so much for these as well as those spectacular doors over on the Show Doors, thread!

If there's any way that you could post these in larger sizes, it would be wonderful to be able to fully appreciate them. That inlet looks as though it is a place I'd like to be.

Please stop by and give us your official unofficial introduction over in the Welcomes and Introductions forum, next time you stop in.;) I'm very glad you've come over.:D

My panos with several serious compacts

Some of my shots using different serious compacts:

Potomac Canal from MD side near Washington, DC with Sigma DP1
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cherry Blossoms at Washington, DC with EP1
original.jpg

Montreal with Sigma DP1
original.jpg

Stockholm with Panasonic LX3
original.jpg

Zurich with DP2
original.jpg

Sile, Turkey with EP1 and 14-42mm
original.jpg

Norway with Nex 5 with kit lens
original.jpg

I think these show why I went with smaller compacts after traveling big dslrs.

Serhan

Back