SHOW Paths, Tracks and Roads

Fuji GFX 50S II_01221.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50852498577_bcc25a791f_h.jpg

Oh, to be Young Again by Andrew Priest, on Flickr
A young fellow hiker zoomed pass on the approach to Signal du Bougès, which at 1,421 is both the highest point on the ridge and our highest point for the day’s walking.

I suspect he was keen to get ahead as the weather was coming in fast.

Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D9-14: Day 9 of 13 – Le Pont de Montvert to Florac: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

I have loved each of the national parks in Utah, but some of my best solitude has come in Canyonlands. I spent a week hiking in the Island in the Sky unit in the mid 90s, late spring and saw very few people. I did some hikes of around 8 miles and didn't see anyone at all. And in the early 2000's I spent a week in the Needles district hiking. I did see some people that trip, but still it was pretty sparse. It's probably a lot busier now, but those memories are are highly valued.

I have loved each of the national parks in Utah, but some of my best solitude has come in Canyonlands. I spent a week hiking in the Island in the Sky unit in the mid 90s, late spring and saw very few people. I did some hikes of around 8 miles and didn't see anyone at all. And in the early 2000's I spent a week in the Needles district hiking. I did see some people that trip, but still it was pretty sparse. It's probably a lot busier now, but those memories are are highly valued.
Those times have changed, unfortunately. National Parks in the U.S. are a major draw for travelers, especially foreigners anxious to see the fabled lands. A few years back we were camping in Teton N.P. in early May. Got up before daylight to take a few pix of the Moulton Barns. When I arrived there were already four big tour buses and the parking lot was almost full...must have been close to 300 fotogs and gawkers! I still visit them every year but more so now in Feb./ Mar.

Back