The Random Image Thread

The weekend was was quite nippy it was only 5 degrees (41 F) and quite rainy (very typical Melbourne weather). I went to a Chinese Night Market and a Peruvian festival to try my luck at some photos, but it was just too wet and rainy and ended up with just a handful.

9335736294_7da70d42c5_b.jpg

9335715664_14a8932a97_b.jpg

View attachment 14596

Playing around the Canadian Museum of Nature with my Rokinon 8mm FE:

9530731255_81d03c2b34_c.jpg

Canadian Museum of Nature. by OT Kammah, on Flickr

9530734191_bb2691c750_c.jpg

Canadian Museum of Nature. by OT Kammah, on Flickr

And attempting two firsts, first off camera flash portraits and also first shots with my new Fuji 60mm lens:

View attachment 15311
Learning Flash. by OT Kammah, on Flickr

9533507108_f34152b19b_c.jpg

Learning Flash. by OT Kammah, on Flickr

Second attempt at off camera flash. My friend wanted a cool picture of his tattoo, I think we did alright :)

View attachment 15313
[fl0k] by OT Kammah, on Flickr

I don't know about more seasoned (I'm a newbie to flash and lighting myself), but in the portrait shots I think your light is positioned a wee bit high. You've got a lot of fall-off on the bottom of his face in the original. The edited version evens it out quite a bit but I would guess it'd have come out closer to that in-camera with the light just a little lower.

Likewise on the tattoo shot, I think the light is either a little high if you wanted to highlight the tattoo, or maybe you're using too much vignetting (if you added that). My eye wants the tattoo to be just a little brighter, as the bottom corners are fading into the shadow.

Both of those are pretty minor points though. I especially like the tattoo shot in monochrome... very dramatic!

I don't know about more seasoned (I'm a newbie to flash and lighting myself), but in the portrait shots I think your light is positioned a wee bit high. You've got a lot of fall-off on the bottom of his face in the original. The edited version evens it out quite a bit but I would guess it'd have come out closer to that in-camera with the light just a little lower.

Likewise on the tattoo shot, I think the light is either a little high if you wanted to highlight the tattoo, or maybe you're using too much vignetting (if you added that). My eye wants the tattoo to be just a little brighter, as the bottom corners are fading into the shadow.

Both of those are pretty minor points though. I especially like the tattoo shot in monochrome... very dramatic!

Thanks for the great feedback!!
Very good point on the portrait shot, that was my first ever off camera shoot and I just couldn't figure out what would make it better. What you said is bang on!

Ditto for the tattoo shot, no vignetting added but I see how I could've moved the flash a bit more towards the tattoo itself or maybe even just made it wider.

Thanks very much!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

View Through My Window! New Jersey:)!
IMA1235.jpg

Back