The Random Image Thread

DSCF8907.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I see the snake leggings. I take it that's a necessity Down Under? We have a couple of less deadly pit vipers that inhabit our woods, but snake bites are so rare they are usually front page news.

Ah yes, the gaiters. Yes gaiters can be worn for snake protection but would have been worn here for leg protection (reduce the bleeding :)). We tended to walk in shorts and wear gaiters even when off-track walking in the middle of winter (we breed them tough around here) as we were on this weekend. As this was in July, our winter, snakes wouldn't have been an issue as they sleep through the cold months.

On the other hand around September onwards, gaiters have come in handy once or twice when I have upset a Tiger snake enjoying the sun ... whoops :) Thankfully my closest experience; it reared up but then as I stepped back it did the same so to speak, was not an alright out attack it did remind me that my gaiters need to be double in length :D

As to snakes, well Australia is known for having one or two venomous ones. Of the 10 listed here at the Australian National Geographic I have had the pleasure of "meeting" a Western brown snake (it actually chased me up the road ... I was on my loaded touring bike at the time); one or two or more mainland tiger snakes (pretty common where I used to live (had one living in a shed two units along one summer) and one not listed but which has the ability to kill people, the dugite. Dugites are very common here in the south-west Western Australia so I expect to see them every summer when I am outdoors. My most memorable experience was sharing a nature break with one :eek-54: Not sure who was more offended :D

We also have death adders here in our local bush but I have never come across one thankfully. They tend to stay still curled up in the leaf litter so one can easily step on them. Prior to the development of anti-venom death rates were around 60% apparently. @NoSeconds lives further north in WA and has a few other choice friends to share his world with including my friend the Western brown snake.

Last edited:
@NoSeconds lives further north in WA and has a few other choice friends to share his world with including my friend the Western brown snake.

Haha there's no good snakes up here.... Even the pythons are big enough to lift a full grown, waterlogged roo out of a gorge like a crane...

You guys should see my automatic routine when entering a room or opening a cover on a remote site that hasn't been visited in a while, mostly stemming from an incident the involved grabbing part of a 4m long olive python while trying to run new cables in underfloor trunking...

I can't find many pics right now, including one of a very mobile and active juvenile death adder I came across one night on a walk but this one is typical of the kind of callout I used to get for a power outage at one of our sites...

image_zps62cf3fd1.jpg

You folks Down Under have some interesting wildlife. I'm not aware of any deadly snakes around here that will chase a bloke on his bicycle!
I can promise you I was shocked as. I had been so used to snakes heading in the opposite direction that when this one turned and came for me I wasn't exactly too excited. Thankfully moments later a police vehicle came along and the vibration distracted the snake and it gave up on me and moved off the road.

I was riding my Surly Long Haul Trucker and pulling a trailer so trying to do a U-Turn in a panic on a narrrow bitumen road was not good for my heart, trust me.

Back