The Random Image Thread

0318A1FA-9938-4085-8660-8F0B5372ED11.jpeg

I have taken a sabbatical from photo forums for some time. In fact, during that time I took very few images beyond documenting some projects I was pursuing. Here's the result of one such project, a tenor ukulele I built from a DIY kit. Being me, I added a few enhancements like a side sound port with a Cocobolo reinforcing ring, curly Koa bindings, and an electronic pickup. There were days I found myself down in my workshop as early as 0400 working on this beauty. I'm presently in the early stages of a parallel build of another tenor uke (this one a scratch build) and a tenor guitar.

I also have further reduced my daily photo gear carry to a single camera and a high quality lens. The G80 and Panasonic-Leica 12-60 are an excellent combination, and I find them to be a perfect fit for my needs. Unless I find a very, very good price on a PL 50-200, I don't plan to be buying any more gear.

P1010769.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'll do you a favor and not keep track of your future posts. :D It's nice to have other hobbies besides photography, it can give you a fresh look when picking up the camera after a while.
Worth its own thread that one. I need to read more. It's ridiculous that I'll have to put aside time to do so, but that is what I have to do. 2019 here we come.

Worth its own thread that one. I need to read more. It's ridiculous that I'll have to put aside time to do so, but that is what I have to do. 2019 here we come.
Indeed. I'll be 60 in a few months. About 1/3 of the people at my work place weren't even born when I started working there. Instead of slowing down, I've been picking up the pace in my activities. I have to remind myself it's OK sometimes to chill out and do nothing.

A documentary photo showing progress on my little tenor guitar project. In the middle is a newly bent guitar side clamped in the body molds to set its shape while it dries. On the right is the sister piece already bent. On the left is the Mahogany neck blank with an Ebony reinforcing strip glued in place. To the rear are the top and back with the internal braces glued and shaped. On the right is the homemade hot pipe setup used for the side bending. Iā€™ll also use it to bend the bindings when I get to that step. Still a long way to go, but itā€™s starting to look like a guitar.

I wanted to try a silky water pic with the X100s, so I turned on the ND filter. I wanted to go with a narrower aperture, but I was at the bottom of a canyon, and I thought 1/4s was about the best I could handle. I wrapped my arm around a handy tree growing along the stream and leaned into it for support. It's not tack sharp, but it works:

Several hours of intense sawdust therapy today. I would probably make more progress if I wasn't working on 3 different stringed instruments at once, but it's my way of doing things. Can't say which will be finished first, or when. I'm just working steadily and enjoying the process. When the wood is ready to look and sound like a musical instrument, it will tell me.

DSCF7985.JPG

Back