The Random Image Thread

EM530034.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M.

44893681912_6f12cf7c57_h.jpg

Man Bun - Bibbulmun Track {01} by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

One of the manny granite outcrops on the summit of Mt Cooke in the Monadnocks Conservation Park, Western Australia. Mt Cooke is the highest point on the Darling Scarp and is named after William Ernest Cooke, Western Australia's first Government Astronomer.

The long distance bushwalking (hiking) trail, the Bibbulmun Track summits Mt Cooke as it heads south to Albany.

We were walking the park as part of Ibu Anne’s training to complete the Oxfam Trailwalker 50km.

I made a test bed and put batteries on my flash and started shooting. The focus of the test was to study if and how the different LTM adapters I have work with the frontfocusing Voigtländer 75mm.

View attachment 210254

The outcome of the test: I'm super bad at making test benches
When testing for focussing errors with my SLRs (think Minolta XD7 and Nikon F3 and FM), I used sheet music and photographed that under a 45º angle, like so:
S01-20191216-009.jpg

Crop
S02-20191216-009p.jpg

These were made with the Sony A7Rm2 and Zeiss Loxia 2/50 at f/2.

Last edited:
I used sheet music and photographed that under a 45º angle, like so:
I have to definitely redo and use something similar. Simple and effective! Flat surfaces so that there's a clear progression in distance. And definitely only one place to focus on. I remember where I focused on... the whole 2 seconds after the fact 😅

Failed attempt at automatic perspective correction. The effect brings an already very 3D-y picture to a new level.

2019-12-19-14-21-MP000894.jpg

This reminds me of one Jared Polin video on Youtube. I watch youtube on a 42" television and it is nice how large pictures can be rendered... well, literally 42" size, constrained by the 16x9 aspect ratio. But you don't always somehow appreciate how large the pictures are, you're accustomed to seeing everything as 42" prints. Well in this video Jared had a large 12"-or-so photobook printed out with shots he'd taken as a project. The video showed him sitting with the book on his lap and somehow those pics looked larger than 42". Because there's now this physical context about what size it's supposed to be. I don't think this made any sense :D

Back