The Random Image Thread

Ah then you'll know exactly where this building is then. Not far from home for me :)
Yes I remember, the last time I was there was 1998! I didn’t work at the Farnborough site, but always got VIP entry to the air show from that building! I worked at a small site called DERA West Drayton near Heathrow Airport!

Front yard lurker .....
PGX90006small.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like this shot a LOT, Matt.
And - sorry for my insatiable curiosity but - what camera & lens did you take it with?
That was with my "substitute" camera for this month's challenge, the Nikon 1 V1 with 10mm f/2.8. Don't know why the EXIF isn't displayed ...

The shot shows some strange colours I couldn't really marshall in in post, but I find the result very "vintage" (film-like).

M.

49788269702_7e549b577c_h.jpg

Commercial Building 72 Wray Avenue Fremantle
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The commercial building located at 72 Wray Avenue, is described as a single storey, rendered masonry and iron single-width shop with a symmetrical facade designed as an example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture. The dominant feature of the building is the heavily detailed timber gable end [this is what caught my attention].

A little history on Wray Avenue and 72 Wray Avenue

Wray Avenue was originally Hampton Street. The name was changed to avoid confusion with the intersecting Hampton Road. It became Alexander Road, after Laurence Alexander, Mayor 1901-1902, and a representative of Falk & Co.

The street name was again changed to avoid confusion with Alexandra Road in East Fremantle and became Wray Avenue in 1923. It was named for William E Wray, at one time with the Education Dept as Truant Inspector, and a resident of the street. He was on the Fremantle Tramways Board and Mayor of Fremantle, 1914-1918.

This property was formerly 80 Wray Avenue; renumbering occurred in 1930/31.

This house is one of several on a single lot of land that was first developed prior to 1880. The sequence of development of this group of buildings is difficult to establish as the rates book for this early period does not distinguish clearly the individual buildings on the lot. The number of buildings on the lot gradually increased during the 1890s and by 1894 there were seven cottages on the lot.

The owners were Benjamin Shemelds, Mary McNeece, and Godfrey Dixon. Mary McNeece was the wife of John McNeece, architect and carpenter who designed several buildings on the adjacent corner lot.

Because this building has a frontage on the front property boundary it is suggested that this building was originally designed for a commercial purpose. The only shop recorded on this lot was in 1900 it is therefore suggested that this is when this building was constructed. The owner was John McNeece and the occupant was Mary M. Tapper, a shopkeeper. It is probable that McNeece designed this building.

A plan of the site in 1907 shows that this brick cottage had a verandah at the rear but located on the side of the building. A timber closet was located in the rear of the property.

This place was identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80 as being of cultural heritage significance. (Coded: Purple: "Of architectural and historic significance in its own right.”)

Source: InHerit – Heritage Council – State Heritage Office

49792258732_4cca3a5fc1_h.jpg

Freo.Social
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Freo.Social describes itself as “Freo newest oldest venue” as it is located in the now restored Artillery Drill Hall. Freo.Social is both a bar and a brewery. The Otherside Brewery is located behind the bar and is a five-hectolitre brewery.

The Artillery Drill Hall (fmr) was built for the volunteer guard in Fremantle in 1896, who were responsible for civil defence, and was used as a training facility during World War II.

Back