The Random Image Thread

Miguel, I think it's even more ominous - the puddle looks like molten metal to me, not plastic - oxidised, too; chrome plating? All window frames, door handles and strips are missing ... Well, you were the one standing next to it, so I certainly trust your judgement. But the heat must have been enormous.

M.

I am pretty certain you are correct, Matt - I was wondering about whether it might be melted plastic or molten metal? - and I think your 'take' is spot on. True, I was standing next to it, and (confession follows: ) I was tempted to squat down and feel it with my fingers...but hesitated (out of an irrational fear that the melted-whatever-it-was might contain some sharp parts, and I might wind up inadvertently shredding a finger or two). Your observations about window frames, door handles and strips are very to the point as well; thank you for making them :)

Last edited:
PB084754.4.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

in-camera double exposure

It looks like the bat houses I've seen in our forests, but I can't imagine why one would be so close to the ground. Was it just sitting on the ground or were those two upright supports pushed into the earth?
You're probably right on track - maybe not bats, but quite possibly birds ... I now think (from clues not visible in the image) that the "arrangement" is kind of an odd fluke - there was a downed tree just behind the scene (probably storm damage), and the bird (or bat) house may well have been in it when it fell. It's pure conincidence that it landed almost upright (I failed to connect the dots re. the support poles - thanks for pointint that out). What put me off the trail was the strange piece of camouflage cloth to the right - but that's possibly unrelated (i.e. lost), or it might have been left as a marker for the problem of the fallen house.

Thanks for helping me think :)

M.

Re: bird/bat house
Hold the house upright. Where is the entry?
Most bird houses have the entry on a side, while many bat houses have entry from the bottom.
The entry was on the front, under the roof. You're right - that's what made me think "bird house", but to be honest, I first suspected something more sinister, a trap of some kind. That it's more likely to be the remnants of a local miniature desaster only dawned on me later.

M.

Back