The Random Image Thread

2021-06-12 (Sat) 21-25-03.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

51238918115_92adcb2fb9_h.jpg

Dale River Airport, Western Australia by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Airport might be an overstatement for the airstrip at Dale River. It appears that this airstrip that was once used for gliding and skydiving is pretty much defunct. This building is a sign of decay here.

I stopped here on my way out to Hyden and the Holland Track to do a water drop out from my ride of the Track.

Holland Track by Fatbike – September 2016 - #Holland 01

51243401433_be0767f75f_h.jpg

Mt Gould Lockup by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Heritage Council describes the lockup thus:

The Mount Gould Police Station opened in the 1880s as a centre for police protection for Murchison pastoralists. In the late 1890s early 1900s, the police were concerned with checking cattle and sheep killing by the local Aboriginals. The buildings consist of the main station, which originally had a separate kitchen, lock-up, stone-lined well and a grave. Iron bars, to which prisoners were chained, are still set in the walls of the lock-up. On 3 June 1987, the restored Mt Gould police station was dedicated to all the pioneers who settled the district.

No mention of the treatment of the first nations people who were often made to walk in chains to Carnarvon some 450 kilometres. Imagine doing this in the summer heat where the temperatures can exceed 40 C.

Nor any mention of the Wajarri people who had their own complaints regarding the disruption of water supplies and native wildlife by the pastoralists.

We camped here overnight. It still lingers in my mind giving me an ill-feeling. There is a feeling, a spirit about this place. I was happy to move on early the next morning.

Gascoyne Murchison Outback Pathway Exploration July-August 2020 - #GMOPE 51.

Back