Show "Reflections"

If you look closely you can see frogs in the water. I tried to creep closer, but the loud chorus of dozens of frogs went instantly silent and they all dug into the leaf litter in the water.

Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's amazing that people still need typewriters.
That's on Karl-Marx-Allee in Berlin, Germany, along the old parade route through East Berlin - so I'm pretty sure it's just a nostalgia collection of former GDR produce (there's a scooter in the back of the same room, hard to see on this image because I emphasised the reflection). That said, my mother refuses to touch a computer (she even dusts off *around* my father's laptop) and still uses a late 70's electric typewriter (or her own 50's mechanical one, but her hands are not as strong as they were, and the thing's heavy, too ...).

M.

Having grown up on an original typewriter (and carbon paper as a tell tale - no White Out cheats in that class), I can appreciate with some nostalgia the physical feedback of the full-depress keys, the smell of the lubrication oil and the satisfaction of the carriage return lever. I do not miss the awful backless stenography stool and no wrist support (fingers on point!). I cheered when those Brother brand hybrid word processors with the tiny mono-LED displays and built-in correction came on market.

Back