Show "Reflections"

210221_PTP_4303.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This wall has major significance to me. This was my war although I was fortunate enough to not have been there in person. I was in Germany when we lost our first casualty in my branch of service, the Army Security Agency. I transferred to the DC area when the war officially started for reasons never clear to me. I have fellow servicemen I served with on that wall, I have classmates on that wall including my high school friend and football halfback who died in his very first combat operation. As the war progressed, I was to be sent there and it was just fortuitous to me that I was allowed to leave my service to return to my 1-year-old baby and wife that I had not seen for almost that year of her life. I still have doubts about that war and certainly what I knew from my own knowledge has caused me to question the need. On my first trip to see the wall, I was overcome with grief when an older man with his ill-fitting uniform from years past came up to the edge and started playing Taps on his bugle. The memory of that has stayed with me and every time I have seen this monument, I hear that grief again. I think this is the most meaningful memorial I have ever seen. Every name means pain to someone.

Back