Show "Remarkable Car(s)"

DSC_0057.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC_0058.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ron, sold in Australia as the Toyota Corona. Very nearly indestructible and extremely reliable. Slightly different grill, etc.
In the US as well they went away from the Toyopet brand name into Toyota around the same time. FWIW, I believe this brand name came to be because phonetically "toyopetto" in Japanese means "the best" - so they tried to use that as the brand name originally when they went out of Japan.

In the US as well they went away from the Toyopet brand name into Toyota around the same time. FWIW, I believe this brand name came to be because phonetically "toyopetto" in Japanese means "the best" - so they tried to use that as the brand name originally when they went out of Japan.
Yeah, car makers keep getting caught out with names that mean quite different things in different languages.

Ron, it's wonderful, but it makes my back hurt even more than normal just thinking about getting in or out of it. Even more so than my Subaru Impreza!
I have a couple of cars that I are that low, at least in my cars, I have learned to get in is rather easy, you just turn around and drop back, after that it's fine. Getting out is a little harder, for sure. Might not be possible on this car as you would hit your head.

In the past, I had a Lotus 7 - and with the roof up, it was pretty much impossible to get in with any kind of dignity. I owned it for 8 years or so and I believe the roof was up only once, because of that. Normally, in case of rain (there was a lot of it in Portland, Oregon where I lived at the time) the solution was to drive faster, but I remember I went to the track for a race in it and a real rain shower started, within a couple of minutes I had no idea what was in front of me, beside me, or around me, as soon as I saw some grass, I just pulled off to be off the race track and wait for visibility to resume.

Back