Show "Remarkable Car(s)"

I fell in love with hood ornaments decades ago when photographing a Duesenberg that was supposedly owned by Barbara Stanwick. Absolutely gorgeous. I have a bunch, but they're on film and sigh what a monster of negs I have to go through to find them all.
Me too, Linda. I've got quite a collection in amongst my car album, here:

However, I think that many are not tagged/keyworded as such. Searching for "emblem" brings up quite a few.

tf350540.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1917 fords

Nice car, Chris.

And Top Gear wouldn't know if their a**e was on fire, until they tried to talk through it ... Just IMNSHO, of course.
The good part is it severely depressed the resale value of these cars for years making them accessible to a much larger audience. But prices have been climbing of late.

This one is 15 years old and had 45,000 miles on the clock when I bought it.

View attachment 375804I did not get a chance to drive this at Westwood in 1967
As if anyone in their right mind would let some 20 something y.o. behind the wheel of a car like that.

That having been said, I did manage to talk my way in to a test drive of a 250LM and a 275LM Ferrari at around that age! Bloody tractors, both of them, compared with the urbane nature of a 3.8L Jaguar E-Type that I had much more than a test drive of around same time. Drove it around 100+ miles from Brisbane to Surfers Paradise and back before there was even a divided road, let alone the present day freeway.

These rally cars all had so many stickers and sponsors' ads all over them, that it took me till just now to notice the L for Learner Driver :) Guess it's supposed to be a joke
It's a Lamborghini Huracan, participating in the Cape 1000 (Mille Miglia tribute race)

View attachment 375897
We see these'N' stickers on all sorts of exotic cars in downtown Vancouver. They are required for any driver with less than 2 years of getting their first post-Learner's licence. They can't have more than one passenger or drive between midnight and 5:00AM.
49219476078_7791db889c_h.jpg

New Driver Lamborghini Aventador by Graham Moore, on Flickr

Note the twisted exhaust pipe cluster.

We see these'N' stickers on all sorts of exotic cars in downtown Vancouver. They are required for any driver with less than 2 years of getting their first post-Learner's licence. They can't have more than one passenger or drive between midnight and 5:00AM.
View attachment 375936

Maybe they should have a maximum hp law, for the first two years, as well. I believe they have tiered hp licensing for motorcycle’s in Europe.

This “driver” sure isn’t ready to handle much of anything, it seems. Just look at the “perfect” parking job.

These rally cars all had so many stickers and sponsors' ads all over them, that it took me till just now to notice the L for Learner Driver :) Guess it's supposed to be a joke
It's a Lamborghini Huracan, participating in the Cape 1000 (Mille Miglia tribute race)

View attachment 375897
A very nice photo too, Irene. The wet adds to it.

View attachment 375936

Here, we have red 'P' plates for the first year after gaining a licence for the first time (if under 25 y.o.?), and green 'P' plates for a further two years after that. Mature age drivers have green 'P' plates for three years after first getting their driver's licence (no red P plates). They are a bit bigger than that, front and rear.

Learner drivers must display a yellow 'L' plate at all times.

As I have explained to many young people who chafe at these restrictions, they also warn us far more experienced drivers to both watch out for them, and to cut them slack when they make the inevitable mistakes.

There are a number of attendant laws about curfews, number of passengers (and their age), zero alcohol, etc. Some terrible things occur when these sensible prohibitions are breached.

These laws have managed to halve the death rate on the roads for under 25 y.o. males in particular.

I don’t live in the Uk now, but as a learner I had to have a L plate (white background Red L) on the vehicle (back & front). Once I passed the driving test the plates came off. In fact the day after I passed my test, my parents let me undertake a 150 mile round trip.. in all honesty it was really quite daunting under all my youthful bluster. In later years, I realized just how little I then knew about road craft. Regards ScleralGuy

Maybe they should have a maximum hp law, for the first two years, as well. I believe they have tiered hp licensing for motorcycle’s in Europe.

This “driver” sure isn’t ready to handle much of anything, it seems. Just look at the “perfect” parking job.

Victoria has a better system based on power to weight ratio.
The guts of it is :

Definition of probationary prohibited vehicle​

A vehicle is probationary prohibited if it has:
  • a power to mass ratio of greater than 130 kilowatts per tonne, or
  • an engine that has been modified to increase performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer during the vehicle’s manufacture), or
  • been declared as probationary prohibited in the Victorian Government Gazette.

This applies to all vehicles, including those that have club permits.

Link:

"Monsieur, I make you a good price...72000€...we could have lunch together...monsieur, MONSIEUR!"
Card&Driver could not finish the 13000-mile test drive due to technical problems. Alfa should get some Toyota engineers to teach them quality control basics. It is a fascinating subject. How to make or break a brand.

View attachment 376329
Alfa have had those sorts of problems for at least the last 50+ years.

My Subarus have always gone from one service to the next without anything going wrong, except batteries (average 8 years each) or tyres.

Otherwise, servicing at 24,000kms or 24 months, whichever comes first.

Back