Show "Remarkable Car(s)"

DSC01105 (2).JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Years ago I used to almost be able to identify the year of old Volkswagen Beetles/VW Bugs. But the exact year of this one, which I glimpsed on the street in the neighboring town of Ashland, Oregon, eludes me. I love the look of the front end---

Q7_Dec19_21_VW_bug_front(silver.efex).jpg

And the curves of the front fender.

Q7_Dec19_21_VW_bug_front_fender.jpg

I couldn't resist moving in close to one of the rear-view mirrors for a camera selfie.

Q7_Dec19_21_VW_bug_mirror.jpg

Look at those lines. I know it's a cliché but it's true: they just don't make 'em like this anymore.

Q7_Dec19_21_VW_bug_side.jpg

Also looks like my old man's 1972 version. No one had an orange one like us. There's a v-dub thread on the l-camera forum and I've been thinking of starting one here, but there just doesn't seem to be that many of them about these days.

Last edited:
Here's another. I've posted this on another forum in the past. This started as a ford Model T if memory serves. The front end is from a tractor, the fenders are from a trailer; the front from a dual axle and rear from a single axle. The 'wood' side panels are counter top Formica. The trunk lid (boot) is the hood (bonnet) from a VW.

51193115816_04a560338c_o.jpg
P1031672 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

51193115621_276ae440cc_o.jpg
P1031674 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Here's another. I've posted this on another forum in the past. This started as a ford Model T if memory serves. The front end is from a tractor, the fenders are from a trailer; the front from a dual axle and rear from a single axle. The 'wood' side panels are counter top Formica. The trunk lid (boot) is the hood (bonnet) from a VW.

View attachment 282182P1031672 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

View attachment 282183P1031674 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

What a weird - and what a cool - vehicle...!!! Whoever created and built this definitely qualifies as one of the 'mad scientists' of the automotive world.

Here's one that is truly remarkable. A 1963 Chrysler Turbine. The last photo is a video, click through to get to Flickr and play. That's not a jet engine warming up in the background!

If you hit pause toward the end of the video you can read the description on the placard.

Owned by Stellantis North America (Chrysler) and on display at the Chrysler Museum. Photos and video Made at Yankee Air Museum Wings and Wheels, 2021.

51252993485_9bb2c426a8_o.jpg
P1062796 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

51251220862_f3f34a709c_o.jpg
P1062798 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

51253005465_45a522efa0_o.jpg
Chrysler Turbine by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Lamborghini Urraco,

there is a funny piece about this car, and two competing ones from Ferrari and Maserati here:
(several episodes)

also just ran intro this one:

if you can afford it, better stick to Porsche 😅
John, you can say that again. I bought a Maserati Merak after I graduated from Law School. I got a great deal on this almost new car but I had to get the title from Italy which took months then I had to modify the car a little for safety mandates. I sold it when my mechanic told me to do so and explained the costs of parts and made a profit but I did not want to get another one. I eventually bought a TR6 then Porsche's--my current 911SC, a Porsche 928 S and 944. All the Porsche's were great cars.

Back