Show "Remarkable Car(s)"

All modern Japanese and Korean engines should use special, fully synthetic oils. Ordinary mineral oils will bugger them up very quickly.
Define modern.

Our newest, non-EV car is a 2006 Lexus which uses synthetic oil. My other cars are older (1993, 1969 and 1967). For these, synthetic oil is usually too thin, especially as they have some miles on them. Our last Subaru blew it's engine in 2015 - so I really do not remember what was used on it, especially since it was dealer serviced.

The good news is that EVs require practically no maintenance other than tire rotation. That's pretty nice, frankly, especially for my wife who is not a fan of dealing with cars.

52350370234_eebdb6fe25_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pretty much agree about the post 2015 Subarus. Modern cars generally are not designed to be driven. I drove a loan 2019 Liberty here, and the electric power steering was dreadful, front suspension under engineered, and more like using an unfamiliar computer than driving a car!

My wife's SH uses about 0.5L oil in 10,000 kilometres (slight weeping head gasket on one side). My SG (almost identical EJ253 engine) uses none between changes - 24 months or 24,000 kilometres.

In the USA, you have to use 0W-20 fully synthetic engine oil. OK if you live in Northern Canada, perhaps ... :( .

We use 5W-40 Shell Helix Ultra FS in both of ours. Far more suitable for any climate with an average ambient temperature of more than 0 °C ... Engine oil must never exceed 100 °C. With 0W-20, it reaches that at an ambient temperature of about 27 °C!

If you get your Subaru serviced at a dealer here, they will put 0W-20 FS in it. A recipe for disaster!
I use Mobil1 Synthetic 15-40 in my Porsche. I take my 911SC to a private mechanic who has been a Porsche-certified mechanic for years and he will put nothing lighter in the air-cooled engine.

How was your visit re: shooting the cars there?
I see you used your A7M2 w/55 lens. Did you wish for any other combo due to placement of the cars etc?
I'm contemplating a visit.
How crowded was it?
I went on a day that was a special limited visitor doyen led day, IIRC. They currently have Friday and Saturday as visiting days only. Go. It was not crowded at all and is in an out of the way area of an out of the way town.

I used the A7M2 with the Zeiss 55 as that was most suited in my mind. I needed something that would work in low light and still be sharp. It worked OK. I will be going back down again and will take the X2D this time. A 35mm equivalent view of a 43mm lens will work a bit better and the ability to work at very low light levels (slow shutter speeds) without blur are important qualities of the X2D. The color is marvelous, really marvelous, and image resolution is better than the Sony. I have an A7M3 now and could possibly take that along, too, as insurance but the X2D has not let me down yet.

Shooting: it is a large venue, well lit and the cars are not crowded. It is the best auto museum I have seen.

Here are some examples:

I was kind of on Adrenalin being overawed by the place and quite thrilled at the quality and size of the collection. This is the real deal. Mullin is now or was recently the long term president of the Bugatti Club of America. There are lots of other eye popper cars there. I'd say go if only to look. No unipods or tripods allowed and God forbid you touch a car. Immediate hanging! If you can and are a real car nut go both Friday and Saturday. Friday will get you used to the place. After spending the night going through what you have shot you will be better able to stalk your prey the second day, but go, just go if you have any fondness for classic luxury and the occasional 2CV. There is even a VeloSoleX moped. And I was just on the first floor.

I went on a day that was a special limited visitor doyen led day, IIRC. They currently have Friday and Saturday as visiting days only. Go. It was not crowded at all and is in an out of the way area of an out of the way town.

I used the A7M2 with the Zeiss 55 as that was most suited in my mind. I needed something that would work in low light and still be sharp. It worked OK. I will be going back down again and will take the X2D this time. A 35mm equivalent view of a 43mm lens will work a bit better and the ability to work at very low light levels (slow shutter speeds) without blur are important qualities of the X2D. The color is marvelous, really marvelous, and image resolution is better than the Sony. I have an A7M3 now and could possibly take that along, too, as insurance but the X2D has not let me down yet.

Shooting: it is a large venue, well lit and the cars are not crowded. It is the best auto museum I have seen.

Here are some examples:

I was kind of on Adrenalin being overawed by the place and quite thrilled at the quality and size of the collection. This is the real deal. Mullin is now or was recently the long term president of the Bugatti Club of America. There are lots of other eye popper cars there. I'd say go if only to look. No unipods or tripods allowed and God forbid you touch a car. Immediate hanging! If you can and are a real car nut go both Friday and Saturday. Friday will get you used to the place. After spending the night going through what you have shot you will be better able to stalk your prey the second day, but go, just go if you have any fondness for classic luxury and the occasional 2CV. There is even a VeloSoleX moped. And I was just on the first floor.
THANK you!
Judging from your photos I'm thinking my A7M3 paired with my old Nikkor 24mm might be the right combo to take along. I don't think the 24-105 would gain me much and I love the way the old Nikkor renders.

THANK you!
Judging from your photos I'm thinking my A7M3 paired with my old Nikkor 24mm might be the right combo to take along. I don't think the 24-105 would gain me much and I love the way the old Nikkor renders.
I'd put another lens or two in my pocket just in case. But Mullin is the happy hunting ground for luxury French cars. Allez-y!

Back