Animals "Show" reptiles - post your images

DSC02781.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Common Blunt-Headed Tree Snake, non venomous. I was able to pick it up and hold it, then each of my three kids got to hold it. My wife yelped and did a little dance to keep away from it when offered to hold it. It was very slender, only slightly thicker than a pencil at its widest point and it was 2-3 feet in length. Rainmaker Preserve, Costa Rica.

DSC_2211-X3.jpg

DSC_2203-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Another side-striped palm pit viper, this time at Monteverde Wildlife Refuge, Costa Rica. Fiona spotted it after our guide had walked by and not seen it. I was pretty proud of her. Vipers will find a place to coil up for a week or more to digest their latest meal. Once they poop out the leftovers they will move to a new spot and coil up to wait to ambush a new meal. They can remain in ambush for over a week.

Side-striped vipers are fairly small reaching a meter at most in length. They are also pretty docile if you don't touch them. But they do account for a lot of snake bites in Costa Rica as they like to hide in coffee and banana plants and farm workers have accidents with them. Their venom is pretty potent, but there is an effective anti-venon. Also, the bite doesn't kill nearly as quickly as the fer-de-lance viper (that snake's bite will kill in a little over 20 minutes) so there is more time to get to a hospital.

I was a little bummed that this was the only species of viper I got to see in Costa Rica, but they were beautiful and we saw 4 individuals.

DSC_1583-X3.jpg

So having lived in Florida for quite some time I have seen quite a few alligators. I have taken pictures of a few but never have I had a picture I actually liked. Most of the time I see alligators sunning themselves and they are still wet, the combination of the dark alligator and reflection of the sun from their wet skin makes for a very difficult exposure situation. This week I finally encountered an alligator that understood the principals of exposure and wanted to pose. I finally have a couple of keepers.
20230309_095721_P1057043.jpg

20230309_095832_P1057060.jpg

DSC05219 (2).JPG

Was out bbq'ing some salmon and noticed the lizards are back in the garden. So after I cleaned up from cooking and pulling a tub of weeds, I grabbed my camera and waited patiently for them to appear. This one decided it liked sitting on the wall under the lamp half in half out of the sun which felt really nice today, but, another storm is coming in tomorrow.

Back