Animals "Show" reptiles - post your images

DSC05290 (2).JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is Fred Jr, not to be confused with George, which I initially did. Fred (and George) are western diamondback rattlesnakes that have dens next to the visitor center at Cave Creek Regional Park, Maricopa County, Arizona. I spent a couple of hours walking around and photographing whatever I could find near the visitor center, then sat on a bench under a tree in the area that George likes to frequent. I was talking on the phone with my wife when I saw Fred slither into view and, thinking it was George, I said "George is here, gotta go."

I got several shots like this one

DSC_3155-X3.jpg

After a couple of minutes he decided he didn't like the looks (or maybe it was the smell) of me and slithered under a clump of cholla cactus. I walked by and he gave me a half hearted rattle.

A little later I met a man who had been the ranger at this park for many years and I told him about not-George and showed him where Fred was hiding. He got his face down into the cholla looking for Fred and Fred gave a long rattle. Retired Ranger Man started talking to Fred and blew on him and that calmed Fred down. He got out his cell phone and took pictures from about a foot away, then told me where to look.

I got pretty close for this shot, but a little more than a foot away.

DSC_3195-X3.jpg

Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, Cochise County, Arizona. Lots of rattlesnakes have diamond patterns on their backs, but that doesn't make them a diamondback. Western diamondbacks have alternating bands of white and black before the tail. If it doesn't have those bands, it isn't a western diamondback. This beauty was a biggie, 4-5 feet long. I took a bunch of pictures as it nonchalantly slithered across the road.

DSC_3947-X3.jpg

Mojave rattlesnakes also have alternating bands of black and white before the tail, but there is a difference in the bands of Mojave versus western diamondback. On western diamondbacks the white and black bands are close in size and the last ring before the rattle is usually black. On mojaves the white bands are much larger then the black bands and the last band before the rattle is usually white.

Mojave rattlesnake, Graham County, Arizona.

DSC_4293-X3.jpg

Back