Show Seascapes

2022-07-23 (Sat) 13-53-08.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Rose, I'm going to tempt you again ...

I got the 8-25 yesterday, and it seems to be every bit as good as the 12-100 ... Smaller and lighter, but still highly expensive 72mm filter.

Will keep you posted.

Lovely shot, BTW.

Hmm - John ..... I don't think I will be tempted this time, as I have the PL 8 1-18 (f/2.8?), which I don't use a lot. When I do use it, I am impressed. so think it's a keeper :)

Hmm - John ..... I don't think I will be tempted this time, as I have the PL 8 1-18 (f/2.8?), which I don't use a lot. When I do use it, I am impressed. so think it's a keeper :)
The 8-18 gets a pretty good wrap, Rose. I really wanted the extra on the long end for my uses. I almost never use my FTs 7-14 or 11-22 for that reason. I took a few shots today just to get a feel for it. I reckon it should suit me.

Of course, went to upload the files to my main workstation, which has promptly shat itself 😡😡. Will have to do recovery tomorrow. Bugger.

I suspect that my vastly upgraded computer might be coming rather sooner than I had planned!

The 8-18 gets a pretty good wrap, Rose. I really wanted the extra on the long end for my uses. I almost never use my FTs 7-14 or 11-22 for that reason. I took a few shots today just to get a feel for it. I reckon it should suit me.

Of course, went to upload the files to my main workstation, which has promptly shat itself 😡😡. Will have to do recovery tomorrow. Bugger.

I suspect that my vastly upgraded computer might be coming rather sooner than I had planned!

Oh dear about the work station, but also how exciting to get a new state of the art machine.

Not so exciting to set it up, but I guess with your knowledge you have back up media ....

Oh dear about the work station, but also how exciting to get a new state of the art machine.

Not so exciting to set it up, but I guess with your knowledge you have back up media ....
Rose, it seems that there was serious corruption on my main data drive. It went offline yesterday. Fortunately, I know how to run CHKDSK from the command processor on an offline disk. It's successfully running as we speak.

Due to other pressing commitments, I haven't been as religious as I should have been. However, I still have all files for the last year or so on cards. I never wipe them until they are successfully backed up to my off-line HDDs.

Belts and braces man ...

Rose, it seems that there was serious corruption on my main data drive. It went offline yesterday. Fortunately, I know how to run CHKDSK from the command processor on an offline disk. It's successfully running as we speak.

Due to other pressing commitments, I haven't been as religious as I should have been. However, I still have all files for the last year or so on cards. I never wipe them until they are successfully backed up to my off-line HDDs.

Belts and braces man ...

I suppose I have been a bit complacent over the years, even although I have had two hard drive failures. Also I guess, my images are fun for me, and not income, so I am less diligent perhaps than I could be

Belts and braces man ...
The recovery is still happening, nearly 48 hours later. Big disks take a long time, plus I was stupid enough in my haste to run CHKDSK j: /R from within an admin command prompt under the Windows GUI! The process is at least five times faster if run straight from the command line before the GUI starts.

Amazing how much corruption occurred with this single failure! $MFT plus other system files corrupted, many recent files, a number of bad sectors/clusters/blocks. And this is on an Enterprise level HDD. These are designed to run 24/7 in a server environment, and cost roughly 150% of the cost of the 'same' HDD that's not server quality.

Just demonstrates the importance of regular maintenance and backups yet again, folks. Due to other significant life events, I have had to neglect these to some degree for the last 4 years or so.

Back