Show Seascapes

The recovery is still happening, nearly 48 hours later. Big disks take a long time, plus I was stupid enough in my haste to run CHKDSK j: /R from within an admin command prompt under the Windows GUI! The process is at least five times faster if run straight from the command line before the GUI starts.

Amazing how much corruption occurred with this single failure! $MFT plus other system files corrupted, many recent files, a number of bad sectors/clusters/blocks. And this is on an Enterprise level HDD. These are designed to run 24/7 in a server environment, and cost roughly 150% of the cost of the 'same' HDD that's not server quality.

Just demonstrates the importance of regular maintenance and backups yet again, folks. Due to other significant life events, I have had to neglect these to some degree for the last 4 years or so.
The recovery is still running. Nearly finished stage 4. Just stage 5 to go (checking blank clusters on the disk).

Haumoana - mouth of the Tukituki river. Only seen as wide as this once before in the sixteen years or so that i have been going there. When it occurred before it was after a big storm that completely changed the beach structure, which has since re shingled itself.
P8220647 Haumoana view from track towards Awatoto wide mouth.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The recovery is still running. Nearly finished stage 4. Just stage 5 to go (checking blank clusters on the disk).
The second pass from a W7Pro64 installation DVD finished last night. All seems OK so far. IME, one often has to run CHKDSK several times in order to achieve a successfully completed pass. The second run only took 2.5 days, vs. nearly 8 days for the first (which had to be run from within the Windows GUI shell). There are three versions of CHKDSK - 1) the Windows GUI version; 2) the boot time version, and 3) the installation disk version. Each works slightly differently.

Now to fix the system file/s that probably caused the corruption. EXPLORER.EXE is behaving badly. Most likely cause.

Windows has a recovery command that checks and replaces all damaged critical system files. I've used it before, but will need to look up both the command and its syntax.

Thanks to all supporting me in this. It shows the importance of proper, regular backups.

A couple from this morning's walk along the lakeshore. The first is The Great lakes Maritime Academy, where many of the Seamen for the Lake Freighters and work boats get credentialed.
Great Lakes Maritime Academy.JPG

A private Schooner, docked in front of the Delamar Hotel, soaks up the early morning rays of the sun today. The iconic green roof of the Park Place Hotel, a Traverse City landmark, towers above the trees on the left.
schooner and park.JPG

Back