Show Seascapes

empire dunes.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore towers 600 feet above a boiling Lake Michigan today. Those tiny things that look like bushes at the far ridgeline are actually trees.

A classical scene this time of the year at the beach: parents taken pictures of their kids in their finest clothes; the resulting photos are used to create invitations/remembrance cards because the children will soon be taking their "first communion" (entry into the Catholic fait).
The horse and cart belong to the older guy, third from the left, one of the remaining shrimp fishers on the Belgian coast.

P1230801.jpg

coast guard silvias old house 2-DeNoiseAI-clear.jpg

The Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City was out training rescue swimmers on the west arm of Grand Traverse Bay, water temp about 34 degrees fahrenheit. I shot this from at least two miles away today as I was driving up the opposite shoreline. For me what makes this shot interesting is it happened in front of a house (short one on the left) that a friend of mine just sold. I actually remodeled that house about 15 years ago.

coast guard silvias old house 3-DeNoiseAI-clear.jpg

A wider view. In this shot, the tan house on the left was built about the same time I was remodeling the short house. The property where the tan house now sits used to be occupied by a restaurant called "Windows". That was torn down, victim of a messy divorce I'm told. Between that property and the house I remodeled there used to be a long log cabin. That was torn down because the Lake was about to swallow it.

Two bells and all's well. The West Mooring Basin Harbor at 9 PM. The sun is all but set, off to the far left is an orange dot. That is a sodium vapor light on a fishing boat coming in with a load of fish to wholesale. Sodium vapors are favored over mercury lamps, the silver ones. I guess the sodium vapor draw less current. Across the Columbia are the lights of the towns in Washington state. It is that time between dusk and dark. The time of mystery and magic. M9 with a Canon LTM 35mm f/2.0.

L1002002.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure where to put these. I took them this morning and they have boats, they have bridges (trust me on that), they have fog (now you know where the bridge went) and they technically would combine to form a seascape.

shelplers fog and ice.JPG

Shepler's Ferry from Mackinaw City to Mackinac island is still waiting for spring.

sheplers fog ice pole.JPG

Here a crewmember tries to help the process along by pushing ice away from the boat. A couple of weeks ago a ferry was stranded at night in the straits with passengers aboard when they lost steerage. These chunks of ice could easily jam up a rudder or damage a prop.

If they do get out of the harbor there is still ice in the straits between Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island, which technically opens for tourist season tomorrow. But ice isn't all the crew will have to contend with today. There's a little fog issue this morning as well...

Bridge fog.JPG

There's a bridge in there somewhere. A really big one. Taller, wider and longer than the Golden Gate. When there isn't fog it looks like this...

mackinaw bridge ice-DeNoiseAI-clear (2).jpg

Last edited:
coast guard basket practice.JPG

The Coast Guard was back out there today. A little less breezy than the other day, but with snow showers and cold. Here they are practicing lowering a rescue basket to a vessel in distress. I shot this image from about 2 1/2 miles away. Heavy crop and giant contrast boost to cut through the haze and flurries.

Back