Show ships - vessels - boats - yachts - submarines - whatever ...

Fire-boat practice, Milford Haven waterway.

2111-05 EM10:3-14:42.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 380089
Seal Island - Transom by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The handy-sized bulk carrier, Seal Island [IMO 9736406] alongside Alcoa No. 1 Berth loading with refined bulk alumina. Her next port of call is Jurong, Singapore.

IMO: 9736406
NAME OF SHIP: Seal Island
CALL SIGN: 3EBA4
MMSI: 374241000
Gross Tonnage: 21,801
DWT: 35,947
Built: 2015
Flag: Panama
Ship Manager: Hakyuo Kisen HK

Good Morning,

This is one of the local colleges (Salve Regina) "learn to sail" classes in Newport (RI) harbor yesterday. The sailing instructor was calling out the commands, as every now and then I could hear him on the bullhorn. I was on an overlook (WWII carriage gun emplacement) about 1/2 mile away; plenty of heat shimmer for sure with the RF 800mm f11, which kind of gives it a "painterly" look.

Regards,

Edd

SR-1.JPG

Good Morning,

This is one of the local colleges (Salve Regina) "learn to sail" classes in Newport (RI) harbor yesterday. The sailing instructor was calling out the commands, as every now and then I could hear him on the bullhorn. I was on an overlook (WWII carriage gun emplacement) about 1/2 mile away; plenty of heat shimmer for sure with the RF 800mm f11, which kind of gives it a "painterly" look.

Regards,

Edd

View attachment 380167
That's a beautiful area. I had the chance to visit there for a few days some years back. Had an ale at the White Horse Tavern. ( a must when in Newport) A return trip is on my bucket list.

20221001-Norfoilk Navy Cruise.006.jpg

LPD-17. Norfolk Navy Ship Yard.

Long story on this one. My little 3 man consulting company designed the rear doors for these boats. They were some of the first efforts by the Navy for low radar cross section requirements.

The Navy was convinced that the doors couldn't meet the requirements and waived them for the upper and lower doors.

Funny story is, we met the requirements. The guy who was building the doors, that I was consulting to, got a special commemoration.

What my company got in return was a lawsuit from the guy in a pathetic attempt to claw back some cash from the construction which he horribly mismanaged.

I wound up getting out from under the lawsuit but it cost me $10k in legal fees and took over 10 years to work itself out.

No good deed goes unpunished..

Last edited:
52821334369_033e26d09f_h.jpg

Bangkok Highway by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Bangkok Highway (IMO: 9506710) is a vehicle carrier registered and sailing under the flag of Japan. She was built in 2011 by Kawasaki Shipbuilding Corporation, Kobe and is operated by K Line RORO Bulk Ship Management Company.

I photographed the Bangkok Highway as she passed the port light C, FI.R.4s on her departure from the Fremantle Inner Harbour on 16 April 2023. As she passes the North Mole light, she swings to port to follow the Deep Draft Vessel Approach (Transit Corridor). The pilot is expected to depart at the Inner Pilot Boarding Ground. Her next port of call is Shanghai. She was assisted by the tugs, Svitzer Falcon, and Svitzer Redhead.

Whilst in Fremantle she was attended to by Monson Agencies Australia.

Back