Show ships - vessels - boats - yachts - submarines - whatever ...

2020-12-08 (Tue) 17-43-23.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

131002-P1000774_DxO.jpg

THV Patricia

This is the Trinity House Multi Purpose Vessel Patricia engaged in buoy laying in Plymouth Sound. She is 38 years old and was designed in an era when ship designers designed with a degree of beauty in mind. To my mind she typifies a ship of beauty, I love seeing her when she's in the area. Here she was well offshore and I'm well pleased how the FZ200 and DxOPhotolab 1 have behaved in getting this image on what was a misty day.

Barrie

130527-P1000341_DxO.jpg

HMS Somerset At anchor in Plymouth Sound

130527-P1000357_DxO.jpg

Black and stealthy This is obviously quite a small diesel electric submarine, so not a UK vessel. She is flying the Union Jack as a courtesy but is also flying the Portuguese flag. Portugal has two 2000 ton submarines of the Tridente class with a crew of 33, so this is either the Tridente or the Arpao.

130527-P1000358_DxO.jpg

Fleet tender This vessel is mainly used to transfer personnel between vessels moored in Plymouth Sound and the shore.

Barrie

Black and stealthy This is obviously quite a small diesel electric submarine, so not a UK vessel. She is flying the Union Jack as a courtesy but is also flying the Portuguese flag. Portugal has two 2000 ton submarines of the Tridente class with a crew of 33, so this is either the Tridente or the Arpao.
I think you're right. Portugal only has two submarines of any class, so it's got to be one or the other. In fact that's about 11% of the entire Portuguese navy you're looking at there, if we don't count coastguard vessels and suchlike. Good spot.

-R

Capsized

130923-P1000489_DxO.jpg

Come on lads Up on that keel and lets get this boat righted.

130923-P1000490_DxO.jpg

So far so good Now can we get back aboard without capsizing it again?

130923-P1000491_DxO.jpg

Hooray Somewhat wet but a lesson learned.

Barrie

131031-P1010254_DxO.jpg

Passing the South Mallard buoy The Plymouth pilot launch Maker shadows the Pechora Star as the pilot guides her out to sea.

131031-P1010259_DxO.jpg

Coming alongside The Plymouth pilot launch Maker begins to come alongside the Pechora Star to take the pilot off.

Barrie

50700994053_71dbbe7b4a_h.jpg

Ocean Shield [Bow Perspective]
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Ocean Shield (IMO: 9628374) is an offshore supply vessel registered and sailing under the flag of Australia. Her gross tonnage is 8,368. She was built in 2012. Her overall length (loa) is 110.9 m. The ship is operated by the Australian Border Force (a federal government agency).

I photographed the Ocean Shield on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on 10 September 2016.

View attachment 242676
Ocean Shield [Bow Perspective] by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Ocean Shield (IMO: 9628374) is an offshore supply vessel registered and sailing under the flag of Australia. Her gross tonnage is 8,368. She was built in 2012. Her overall length (loa) is 110.9 m. The ship is operated by the Australian Border Force (a federal government agency).

I photographed the Ocean Shield on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on 10 September 2016.
The designer of that needs being hung, drawn and quartered, that's got to be one of the ugliest ships I've ever seen.

Barrie

Here's something rather more prosaic, this barge used to be used to carry sewage sludge out to be dumped at sea when such a thing was permitted. Now much of it ends up on fields near where I live, albeit I think it's had rather more intensive treatment before being used in such a manner. This dates from the 1970's, yet another Mamiya Press image taken on the River Plym in Plymouth.

705.jpg

Barge and launch tug

Barrie

Back