Show ships - vessels - boats - yachts - submarines - whatever ...

VI Canal.jpg

RCL Vision of the Seas in transit through the Panama Canal in 1999. Fujifilm MX2700.

234.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sailing on the tide

The coaster Christopher M was a member of the Metcalf Motor Coasters fleet and is seen leaving on the tide in the mid 1970's. She will have come from the loading wharf of FJ Moore just 300-400 yards upstream and will be carrying a cargo of limestone. This photograph was taken from the quay in the village of Oreston where I grew up, the power station on the opposite bank is Plymouth B Power station, now demolished, where I served my apprenticeship. Behind the stern of the Christopher M are the remains of Plymouth A Power Station in the process of being demolished, thus the coal cranes on the wharf and the chimnies have gone. The first power station on that site was built in 1893. The Christopher M was built in 1956, displaced 1,035 tons and was a regular caller in Plymouth.

This is another Mamiya Press 6x9 image.

Barrie

50707918958_888be5aaaf_h.jpg
Ocean Shield [Port Perspective]
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Ocean Shield (IMO: 9628374) is an offshore supply vessel registered and sailing under the flag of Australia. Her gross tonnage is 8,368. She was built in 2012. Her overall length (loa) is 110.9 m.

I photographed the Ocean Shield on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on 10 September 2016.

Two from Stornaway in the Outer Hebrides, May or June 1976.

340.jpg

HMS Repton Ton Class Minesweeper presumably operating with the Fishery Protection Squadron

336.jpg

In port The coaster Moray Firth IV, the heavy lift ship Aberthaw Fisher and a MacBrayne car ferry on the Ullapool to Stornaway service.

Taken with the Voigtlander Bessa I

Barrie

Last edited:
50721330582_bc085bd172_h.jpg

Ocean Shield [Transom View]

Ocean Shield (IMO: 9628374) is an offshore supply vessel registered and sailing under the flag of Australia. Her gross tonnage is 8,368. She was built in 2012. Her overall length (loa) is 110.9 m.

I photographed the Ocean Shield on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on 10 September 2016.

50728349902_0a2a27a7b7_h.jpg

Ocean Shield [Helipad]

I was curious and just looked up the history of Dar Pomorza. It made quite an interesting read. The bit which particularly caught my eye was this (from Wikipedia): her horn, installed after the war, was from the German battle-cruiser Gneisenau.

I imagine that if someone hoots at you with the horn from a WWII battle-cruiser, you get out of the way sharpish.

-R

HMS Ark Royal returns to Devonport Naval Base (Plymouth) on a grey day in the mid 1970's.

521.jpg

Here she's in the Drake Channel passing the East Vanguard Buoy, at the end of this channel is a 120 degree turn to starboard to negotiate The Narrows off Devils Point.

527.jpg

Having negotiated The Narrows the lead tug which is the only one shackled up to the Ark Royal begins a near 90 degree turn to port to pass Mutton Cove and enter The Hamoaze off the Dockyard.

530.jpg

Moored in The Hamoaze ahead of the lead tug is the Ark Royals sister ship HMS Eagle. Pupils from a local primary (junior) school would seem to have been given the morning off to come down to the landing stage at Mutton Cove to witness the event.

Mamiya Press with 90mm f/3.5 Mamiya Sekor lens and 6x9 film back.

Barrie

MV Eminence.jpg

Entering Sutton Harbour-Plymouth

The London and Rochester Trading Co motor coaster Eminence about to pass through the opening between two piers into Sutton harbour, almost certainly carrying a cargo of coal. Two crewmen already have a mooring rope standing by at the bows of the ship as it will only take her a matter of minutes to manoeuvre alongside the coal wharf. Her hatches are already open ready to begin discharging her cargo. She's followed by two fishing boats destined for the fish quay.

sand_barge.jpg

Sand Barge

In north Devon on the estuaries of the rivers Taw and Torridge there was a trade in sand and gravel, the small barges used to run themselves aground on the falling tide and then load up before being floated off by the incoming tide. This one will then motor up the estuary for about 4 miles to the town of Barnstable (Barum as her port of registry has it) where she will berth and unload her cargo.

Both taken in the mid 1970's with a Leica M3 and, at a guess, a 35mm Summaron.

Barrie

50735029431_38c6e8889c_h.jpg

BROOKE M

Brooke M (WA Registration MH6622) is a workboat operating out of Fremantle Port. She was built in 2010 by Structural Marine Engineering, Henderson, Western Australia. Her overall length (loa) is 15.5 m, and her beam is 5.75 m. She is operated by Mackenzie Marine and Towage Pty Ltd.

I photographed the Brooke M on her departure from her Rous Head at Fremantle Port on 10 September 2016, destination unknown.

Back