Show ships - vessels - boats - yachts - submarines - whatever ...

50742577501_f756bc7481_h.jpg

MV Spinifex (Bow)
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

MV Spinifex (MMSI: 503069180) is classified as a pleasure craft, is registered, and sailing under the flag of Australia. Her overall length (loa) is 26 m, and her beam is 7 m. She is operated by Pelagic Marine Services Pty Ltd.

I photographed the MV Spinifex on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on 12 September 2016 as part of her regular run from Rous Head to Rottnest Island.

PC200022-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50750331431_4978b26b0d_h.jpg

MV SPINIFEX

MV Spinifex (MMSI: 503069180) is classified as a pleasure craft, is registered, and sailing under the flag of Australia. Her overall length (loa) is 26 m, and her beam is 7 m. She is operated by Pelagic Marine Services Pty Ltd.

I photographed the MV Spinifex on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on 12 September 2016 as part of her regular run from Rous Head to Rottnest Island.

If I remember correctly this creek at Kings Lynn in Norfolk (east coast of the UK) was known as the Fisher Fleet and was home to a whole collection of smaller inshore fishing boats mostly engaged in the shell fishery carried out in the Wash, a large tidal area of mud and sand banks that dry out at low tide and have a maze of ever changing channels through them. These images would have been taken in 1971 with an unknown 35mm camera.

35-03-02-Fisher Fleet-Kings Lynn-Norfolk.jpg

35-03-02-Shrimp Boat LN127-Kings Lynn-Norfolk.jpg

35-03-02-Shrimp Boats-Kings Lynn-Norfolk.jpg

Judging by the offset little wheel houses there were even what might be called left handed and right handed boats :)

Barrie

50765011192_f421a47bee_h.jpg

MOL Generosity Rounding North Mole

MOL Generosity (IMO: 953216) is a container ship registered and sailing under the flag of Liberia. Her gross tonnage is 59,176. She was built in 2012 by Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries, Samho. Her overall length (loa) is 275.07 m, and her beam is 40.04 m. Her container capacity is 5,605 teu. She is operated by Peter Doehle Schiffahrts-KG of Hamburg.

I photographed the MOL Generosity on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on 12 September 2016.

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

Top: Tugs and container ships at Harbor Island, looking north to downtown Seattle.
Above: 'Valiant Spring' taking on cargo of (I think) Palouse wheat, with Seattle in the background.

Both taken last week (Dec 22, 2020) while on a bike ride, SOOC jpegs.

I'm a new member so may have screwed up this post :)
Thanks! Jack

Thanks - Jack

50770296632_d2502ef5c5_h.jpg

MOL Generosity

MOL Generosity (IMO: 953216) is a container ship registered and sailing under the flag of Liberia. Her gross tonnage is 59,176. She was built in 2012 by Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries, Samho. Her overall length (loa) is 275.07 m, and her beam is 40.04 m. Her container capacity is 5,605 teu. She is operated by Peter Doehle Schiffahrts-KG of Hamburg.

I photographed the MOL Generosity on her approach to berth at Fremantle Port on 12 September 2016.

DSCF2454.JPG

RMV Scillonian III in drydock in Penzance, Cornwall on 25th December 2020. Scillonian III operates the principal ferry service between Penzance and the Isles of Scilly for 8 months of the year and is one of only 3 ships in the world carrying the status of Royal Mail Vessel. Fujifilm X-T1 with Samyang 8mm.

That ship must have a hard life, as the sea crossing from Penzance to the Isles of Scilly is famously rough, on the passengers anyway. I've done the trip from Penzance to St Mary's a couple of times, carefully avoiding the Scillonian on both occasions. I think the old helicopter service from Penzance no longer exists, but there are some other links from Newquay, Exeter and Lands End now.

This was taken in St Mary's on my second visit, in 2011. I think it's the same boat as above.

-R

Pic 358.jpg

That ship must have a hard life, as the sea crossing from Penzance to the Isles of Scilly is famously rough, on the passengers anyway. I've done the trip from Penzance to St Mary's a couple of times, carefully avoiding the Scillonian on both occasions. I think the old helicopter service from Penzance no longer exists, but there are some other links from Newquay, Exeter and Lands End now.

This was taken in St Mary's on my second visit, in 2011. I think it's the same boat as above.

-R

View attachment 244056
It is the same ship Richard, has been in service since 1977. The ship has a draught of just 2.9m so it can access the islands and is designed to sit on the seabed when there is insufficient water. There is an antiroll stabiliser system fitted but there are a number of tidal currents that meet off Land's End, famously rough crossings as you mentioned. The helicopter service from Penzance to the Scillies has been restored and service resumed in March of this year.

-R

View attachment 244056
She's been on that route for 43 years, a product of the old Appledore Shipbuilders. I recall a trip back from the islands in September 1970 on her predecessor. There had been a force 12 gale mid week that caused the Scillonian II to turn back to Penzance before reaching Lands End on the Wednesday. Even on the Saturday she was burying her bows under a considerable amount of water as we approached Lands End. A container ship, the Black Swan, heading down was rolling about 45 degrees either way with the cross seas. As she cleared Lands End she altered course to the north west in order to head into the wind and lessen the forces acting on her deck cargo, a memorable journey.

Barrie

View attachment 244022
View attachment 244024
Top: Tugs and container ships at Harbor Island, looking north to downtown Seattle.
Above: 'Valiant Spring' taking on cargo of (I think) Palouse wheat, with Seattle in the background.

Both taken last week (Dec 22, 2020) while on a bike ride, SOOC jpegs.

I'm a new member so may have screwed up this post :)
Thanks! Jack

Thanks - Jack
Welcome to the forum, Jack. The images look fine from here.

And for completeness, here's the same ship seen (from a helicopter) at the Penzance end, earlier the same day. That's her over on the right - she would have followed us out to St Mary's, where I took the last picture.

-R

View attachment 244057
Richard, you've also captured the other ship that serves the islands, the Gry Maritha, that's the blue ship in the inner harbour. She serves the islands in the winter when the Scillonian is undergoing maintenance and also carries over heavier cargo such as the fuel supplies for the islands. She's only registered to carry 6 passengers however.

Barrie

50781526756_a20ed1bd0c_h.jpg

MOL Generosity [Bow Perspective]

Back