Show ships - vessels - boats - yachts - submarines - whatever ...

2022-07-22 (Fri) 20-11-31.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

USS Kearsarge - it's 'hot' around this corner of the world, peaceful in Finland, though. But it's better to prepare and practice. That's why US, UK and other future NATO alliance partners have been practicing in Finland and Sweden this summer.

83604A2C-2E86-4F10-B8BA-DA56A304B79D.jpeg

4E24E283-8896-4E99-9AE5-633DC675E57A.jpeg

C0900319-0CF9-4154-84DF-57F37B98CE72.jpeg

I know my avatar says I'm a new member, however I joined this group back in 2012 when it was called Photographers Lounge. Just never posted back then on here, just in m4/3 forum.
P8100022-1.jpg

P8100034-1.jpg

P8100040-1.jpg

P8100061-1.jpg

P8100004-1.jpg

Last edited:
Some carnage here. This year's Chicago to Mackinac race was a little sporty at times. A 333 mile run up Lake Michigan often is. Here, this competitor races by Point Betsie with it's mainsail showing the evidence of the prior night's storms. The fleet was caught in a severe system of continuous thunderstorms with winds reaching 60 mph and large hail. At least 30 of the 250 boats racing had to abandon the race, many more probably wish they did.
depowering the main.JPG

Carnage of a different type
Back in January a ship, the Goliath, rammed and sunk two tugs in harbour.
They have just removed them today from the bottom.
I was in Devonport last week when a huge landing barge arrived and was towed to the harbour by another tug.
Then a few days later I saw the huge ship AAA Melbourne in dock raising the tugs.

P8020153P-D1R.jpg
P8020171P-DR.jpg
P8020180PR.jpg
P8020203P-DR.jpg
P8100409P-DR.jpg
P8100411P-DR.jpg

Last edited:
"That'll buff right out."
Seriously though, how fast was the ship going when it hit that tug? That's a huge amount of damage. What's the story on the other tug - is it as bad (and how did one ship sink 2 tugs at one go)?

Carnage of a different type
Back in January a ship, the Goliath, rammed and sunk two tugs in harbour.
They have just removed them today from the bottom.
I was in Devonport last week when a huge landing barge arrived and was towed to the harbour by another tug.
Then a few days later I saw the huge ship AAA Melbourne in dock raising the tugs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-05/atsb-goliath-tugboat-collision-devonport-prelim-report/1010412View attachment 328408
Is that one articulating stern drive or is that one of two side thrusters in addition to a centerline prop?

"That'll buff right out."
Seriously though, how fast was the ship going when it hit that tug? That's a huge amount of damage. What's the story on the other tug - is it as bad (and how did one ship sink 2 tugs at one go)?
Is that one articulating stern drive or is that one of two side thrusters in addition to a centerline prop?
Looks like my link was broken
And earlier report
Hope that helps Graham
Will focus that's way over my knowledge. Seafaring objects wasn't something I grew up on
I understood our ferries had to have side thrust to turn in the narrow river but they aren't the only vessels using it

Back