Show ships - vessels - boats - yachts - submarines - whatever ...

852C6F45-0252-4D6F-9D2B-89D8759A4206.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I checked, I have not posted this one. I like it a lot for the color, shading and lines. And it is of one of our local industries: fishing. This and logging, the other big local industry, are the two most dangerous jobs around. Going over in these waters is a one-way trip usually. Unless the Coasties can get there in time. We have them stationed here in Astoria and I will post a pic of their cutter moored here. Pleasure boaters may get pissed at the Coasties but those out there working on the water know it is they who will save you when you are clawing off the lee shore. Folks who work on the water love the Coasties, all of them brave. Here is the uncompressed image: B0000226 The second, the Coastie, image was with a '57 KMZ Jupiter 8. I love this lens.

If you want to know what fishing is like, in this case King Crab, read Spike Walker's Working on the Edge. You may have to change your shorts. And it is all true. It is Spike and the folks he worked with and, yes, there was a TV spin-off from his book.

B0000226e.JPG

L1001694.JPG

Last edited:
Back