Show ships - vessels - boats - yachts - submarines - whatever ...

DSC04608 (Large).JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Dragged out the X2D just so I did not have to be ashamed for having it and not using it. On the way back from Costco I swung by the boatyard as usual and caught this night scene. SOOC Link to uncompressed image: B0000368

Later: It's the light, it's always the damned light. It is what I struggle with, what we all struggle with. Thirty years ago I remarked to a pro friend that I thought that light was important. His response? "Yeah, about 95%." I am not too bright but I try. Thanks for your help.

B0000368e.JPG

Last edited:
Often there is something going on here. This is a small but working port. Today on the way back from coffee with a friend I swung by the marina and this fellow was stowing crab pots on board for the coming crab season. When you sit down to that plate of Dungeness this is how it started off. It is cold as hell out there on the Pacific in December and January. This year the crab are lean so the season does not open until 1 January. This boat will be ready. I keep saying to read Spike Walker's Working on the Edge to get a feel for fishing, especially crab fishing. You don't want to do that job. The upside of the old King Crab fishing was that one voyage could net you a house. If you didn't piss it off on drugs, alcohol and fast women. Yeah, not a lot of guys bought houses.

B0000409e.JPG

Some of you may know we have had a spell of some very bad weather. It got worse as it progressed east so here on the west coast in NW Oregon it was not too bad. Lost power twice today. We lose power more often than we should but that is another topic. I wandered around the boatyard again today. When the Mud Hens cluster in the waves you know it is a bad day. A really bad day. On and off it has been impossible to see the river's edge which is only a KM away from my home at the most. And bless the Oregon Responder, it always photographs well. With king tides and a serious on-shore breeze from what is left of the storm she is riding high. That catwalk is doubtful to find a steeper angle than that one today. But the blue, red and white of the ship along with its lights always make it look good. And there is no slack in those lines as the OR rises on a swell.

B0000447e.JPG

B0000457e.JPG

Last edited:
Back