Show "Signs"

Border mark between The Netherlands and Belgium. It's a relic from a long gone past.
Border mark.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I live in Coulsdon, Surrey. A couple of years ago, local residents organised for finial artwork to be fitted to signposts to celebrate the history of the town. Here are a few of them :

PB140523.jpg

Emmeline Pankhurst (Suffragette) visited in April 1911 to speak in support of Votes for Women.

PC020587.jpg

The Surrey Iron Railway, a horse-drawn freight railway which ran from Wandsworth to Merstham via Croydon and Coulsdon. Operating from 1805 to 1838, it was one of Britain’s first public railways.

PB140535.jpg

The town is first mentioned in a document from the late 7th or early 8th century and may have been named after an Anglo-Saxon chief named Cuthraed (648 AD).

PB140526.jpg

The first archived cricket match recorded was from a game played in 1731 (Surrey vs East Grinstead).

They always make me smile when I see them.

Shot in NYC approximately 1981 with a Nikon F and Agfachrome.

Looking at this photo today in 2022, I notice the "Blarney Stone" bar. There used to be one of these almost everywhere you went in NYC. They specialized in cheap beer, whiskey and huge sandwiches, packed with high quality, store-cooked corned beef, roast beef and brisket, for example. It was a workingman's environment, you could get a couple of mugs of beer and a big sandwich, with mashed potatoes and a portion of tasteless, overcooked vegetables for about $3. Even early in the morning, night shift workers would come in for a few shots of whiskey. Cops, fireman, city workers, truck drivers, riff-raff, students were all there peacefully co-mingling. They were all classic old New York Irish bars. A place you could go to eat, drink a beer and be left alone.

Now they are all gone, except for one in Lower Manhattan. (and that one is overpriced with terrible food now)

tuxedos.jpg

Last edited:
Back