Show "Signs"

Ricoh GXR 50mm A12

R0016282.jpg

in the UK, perhaps elsewhere) an alternative to prison is sometimes to have an electronic "tag" (a bit like a wristwatch) strapped to your ankle. conditions are placed upon you such that you need to be within certain places (usually between certain times) where there are sensors that respond to your tag.
a civil libertarian's delight ...

EDIT: Probably wrong about this, see Will's post below

I know I shouldn't laugh... What does "forensically tagged" mean??

I suspect it means that they have spread micro tags about the place. They are microscopic beads with a readable serial number on them. If they find them on you they know where you have been. You can also buy the micro tags to use on personal property in case it gets stolen. They come suspended in a clear paint that you brush on.

I like you photo, it brings up an interesting subject perhaps worthy of it's own thread?

I was curious to see if I was right and it turns out I was. I did a bit of surfing and found they are made by a company called Redweb technologies. Their site even shows the same sign as the one in your photo. Apparently there had been £500,000 worth of damage cause at the sewage works when thieves kept breaking in to steal copper pipes for their scrap metal value.

Ok so if I go back with latex examination gloves on, disposable overalls and shower down afterwards, you reckon I can get away with it?

Amazing - thank you Paul and Will.

Jimmy, that Going Green sign is so much more well designed than the ones that I've seen. I always wonder about paper vs electricity for being "green". Certainly electricity is neater.

Back