Show "Signs"

View attachment 186530Someone Stole the Floodway - {Day 04-10} by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The ubiquitous floodway sign; common as in the West Aussie bush. The only problem is, the road is, eh going uphill here. Whoops! You see floodway's are normally low points where water crosses the road.
I've gone inland from Carnarvon and I tell you what, I wouldn't fancy doing that on a bike.

44773819111_138554c3b5_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Quenda by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Quenda as it is known here in the south of Western Australia is known as the southern brown bandicoot (Isoodon obesulus) in other parts of Australia. The Quenda is a short-nosed bandicoot, a type of marsupial, found mostly in southern Australia.

This sign was was seen while we were out on a training walk in preparation for Anne’s attempt at the Oxfam 50 km walk.

Paradise%202-XL.jpg

Some how I had it pictured differently

36149537645_69fd87b888_o.jpg
Seaman's Rest aka Sailor's Rest aka Port Lodge - Dated Buildings and Cornerstones by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of waymarking.com.

Seaman's Rest or Sailor's Rest (it seems even Heritage Western Australia is not sure of the name) is a place in Fremantle that has social and historic significance as a building erected to provide a rest home for sailors and for associations with the Women's Christian Temperance Union. The place has aesthetic significance as an unusual example of a building in the Federation Arts and Crafts style that has been extensively altered.

The Sailors' Rest home came about because of the efforts of Mrs T. Smith, a member of the Fremantle branch of the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU). Land was demanded from the government, and the building was constructed with funds raised by public subscription. The foundation stone was laid by Sir John Forrest on 9 October 1899. W. A. Nelson, Architect, T. Game, Builder.

The building was later owned by the British Sailors' Society Fremantle Branch. Today it is part of the Notre Dame University and is a student accomodation facility, Port Lodge

Reference:
Heritage Council (n.d.). Seaman's Rest. Retrieved from inHerit - State Heritage Office

44177635865_5b15e6d5fc_o.jpg
Chemin de Stevenson - The Journey Begins - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-02 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This rather incongruous sign in Le Puy-en-Velay marks the start of our journey walking the Chemin Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France. Officially the trial starts in Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille but the trail is marked from Le Puy-en-Velay and Le Puy-en-Velay is generally considered the better starting point.

With hindsight we could have spent a day here before heading off on our journey. A beautiful town known for its lace, green lentils and for its green liqueur "Verveine" flavoured with verbena.

We discovered the lace, but not the lentils as everywhere seemed to be serving up crepes.

Day 0 of 12 - Le Puy-en-Velay: Walking the Chemin Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

Back