Show "Signs"

P6101617.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Give your dog a treat for a change:
Let him poop in front of your own door.

Vielleicht ist meine deutsche Grammatik nicht mehr so gut, aber sollte das nicht "Ihrer eigenen Tuer" lauten?
Beides ist möglich - mit Akkustiv (wie auf dem Schild) gibt es die Richtung an, mit Dativ (deine Variante) den Ort. Ich finde Akkusativ hier irgendwie ... sprechender (more telling ...).

Nur zur Klärung: Ich bin Deutschlehrer von Beruf - entschuldige, wenn das manchmal durchschlägt ...

M.

And Google won't translate. Will you?
Oh, I'm sorry, it was something purely related to German language use. I'm afraid it's probably almost impossible to translate into English *and* make sense for English speakers, but I'll try:

In German, some prepositions can be used with either accusative case (Akkusativ) and dative case (Dativ) to create a difference in meaning; if you use said prepostions (mostly local prepostions) with accusative, they'll indicate direction, if you use them with dative, they'll indicate location. Sorry if this sounds like gibberish - in German, there's a tangible semantic difference between the two usages that makes either both or only one of them available, depending on utterance and context.

M.

Back