Show: Skyscapes

P1050447_v2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Panasonic GH2 with Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX Macro

Barrie

What makes this a "bit of a snap"? Very curious.
It feels like a snap (rather than a carefully assembled image that "does something" ) because, while I am happy with the balance between cloud and sky and the way the blue leads down to the edge of the frame, the abstractness that I saw has been fatally compromised by the tree and what appears to be the lid of a "dog-poo bin"; These can't be cropped without losing the essential shape of the image I saw, and I clearly didn't see them in the frame when I took the photograph (bad bad bad).
If I remember correctly the location I took this, I probably couldn't have moved myself to get what I wanted because of the local topography.
So this is an example of where I have captured the idea of an image rather than the image I saw, and while it's "ok" it's also "nothing really", which is why I call it a snap.

X100 Skyscapes

I am delighted at how well the X100 captures skyscapes and the DR is superb on the camera coupled with a razor sharp lens capable of resolving great detail.

Here are a three from the camera that I love that are primarily landscape but with skies that enhance the images to my mind.

Lively_sky.jpg

Gnarly.jpg

Potency.jpg

It feels like a snap (rather than a carefully assembled image that "does something" ) because, while I am happy with the balance between cloud and sky and the way the blue leads down to the edge of the frame, the abstractness that I saw has been fatally compromised by the tree and what appears to be the lid of a "dog-poo bin"; These can't be cropped without losing the essential shape of the image I saw, and I clearly didn't see them in the frame when I took the photograph (bad bad bad).
If I remember correctly the location I took this, I probably couldn't have moved myself to get what I wanted because of the local topography.
So this is an example of where I have captured the idea of an image rather than the image I saw, and while it's "ok" it's also "nothing really", which is why I call it a snap.

Thanks for the thoughtful considered reply. I wondered whether the act of taking the picture is what made it a snap, or whether it was tagged as one in hindsight. I completely get why you would rate it as a snap however, but I rather like the image. There's something spontaneous and joyful about it, like a picture taken out of the window of a fast moving car.