Show "Solex"

when I saw the title I was expecting pictures of carburettors, Herman ... presumably the same company made those who made this splendid vintage piece

Bill,

I have a phantastic Solex 3300 from France in almost mint condition.....Bought it at Noirmoutier 10 years ago, got some service until the garage owner went into retirement. It's a cool machine with key lock handlebar and the bidon to get 1 ltr. 2 stroke fuel for long distance cruising..... ;-)

Some years ago I collected these VeloSolex here in Germany, I have two 5000 models with the smaller tires (one in orange and one in blue) and two Solex 3800.

Cruising in the morning to get the croissant and baguettes, on top my Mille Miglia 'casque' I'm close to Sir Stirling Moss.........

Here snaps:

Attachments

• Solex-2.jpg
    Solex-2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 230
  • Solex-3.jpg
    Solex-3.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Solex-4.jpg
    Solex-4.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 199
  • Solex-5.jpg
    Solex-5.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 170
I'll add two new Michelin tires with tubes. Not really needed but good to have......

The throttle from this model is like 'cruise control': when you do just steering, the throttle is full. By pulling the left (front) brake the brake cable makes a twist around a curve at the carburettor and closes the throat, engine runs only with idle. Release the brake and full power will push you.....:D

For Motobecane fans I have the white Model Kaptijn' from France with a handle bar to disconnect the engine's drive roll from the tire. But here it's the back tire and the handle bar is at the left side of the frame. Nice.

Attachments

• Solex.jpg
    Solex.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 216
Just been looking at the "local for sale" ads

Depends on the condition - old ones - sell for Euros 250 as a wreck

The newer ones, say the 3800 model from the late 1960's sell for about Euros 300 in good running order

there is even a tandem for sale for Euro 600

Attachments

• Solex_fleur.jpg
    Solex_fleur.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 162
I had one in the UK in 1966

went forever on a very small tank of fuel and if you had problems you had pedal power

The one I had did NOT have cable brakes - the brakes were the older ones made of bent metal rods - I think that it only had a front brake and I just cannot remember but I think that if you pedalled backwards it stopped the rear wheel -I'll have a look around - but I've not been on my motor bike this year yet

Back