Show: Spiders

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
And here’s my first offering.

This fellow was lurking on my bedroom wall for 3 days, then he disappeared (which caused me to recall the last Huntsman I had indoors, which laid its eggs in my backpack which was in my closet... normal behaviour is under bark or leaves on the ground... OUTSIDE! I wont go into the hatching and wandering of hundreds of baby huntsmen all over my room). Anyway, he turned up again today so I put my ebay-acquired spider catcher to use for the first time in a year, and now Mr Huntsman is safely ensconced on a tree in my front yard.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
I spent some considerable time over the summer attempting to photograph one of two crab spiders I'd found on umbellifer plants growing along the farm track outside my cottage. These are ambush hunters. It's the female I've photographed, she's about 10mm long. In the UK they have no common name, so Misumena vatia it has to be. I believe in the USA they are known as Golden Rod Spiders when they will be yellow in colour. White is the default colour but they can change to yellow by releasing yellow coloured fluid held in their body that fills cells just under their skin. I spent a long time trying to capture the moment they caught a prey item but failed, twice I came back after taking a break to find she'd just caught something. Various cameras and lenses were used.

Barrie

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
I spent some considerable time over the summer attempting to photograph one of two crab spiders I'd found on umbellifer plants growing along the farm track outside my cottage. These are ambush hunters. It's the female I've photographed, she's about 10mm long. In the UK they have no common name, so Misumena vatia it has to be. I believe in the USA they are known as Golden Rod Spiders when they will be yellow in colour. White is the default colour but they can change to yellow by releasing yellow coloured fluid held in their body that fills cells just under their skin. I spent a long time trying to capture the moment they caught a prey item but failed, twice I came back after taking a break to find she'd just caught something. Various cameras and lenses were used.

View attachment 206581

View attachment 206582

View attachment 206583

Barrie
She’s pretty :). We have a similar one here, but the plants they used to hide in, in my yard, have died for lack of attention, so currently none around.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom