Spiders Show: Spiders

All you need to see:
View attachment 342072
Around a rock at a hotel I stayed at, about 15 of these beauties. Actually stuck my elbow in a web next to me to get this shot (no egg case so the widow retreated).
Apparently, the Americas black widow spider is genetically identical to the Australian redback spider. And just as poisonous. The spiderlings get carried across the Pacific Ocean frozen, at great height (50-90,00 feet), by the prevailing winds.

It's rare to see them here without the red stripe on their back (females, the males are almost microscopically small), whereas the red back stripe is rarely seen on the Americas variety.

All very interesting.

All you need to see:
View attachment 342072
Around a rock at a hotel I stayed at, about 15 of these beauties. Actually stuck my elbow in a web next to me to get this shot (no egg case so the widow retreated).
One thing I don’t miss about not living in the southwest any longer is these. I couldn’t sit on my patio furniture without first checking, and most likely killing 4 of them. I drew the line one morning minutes after waking up and going to the restroom, and one was hanging from my toilet paper roll. Thankfully I was awake enough to notice!

Cross Orb Weaver ready to lay her eggs....
OrbWeaver.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brown Button Spider resident on the inside of our garage door... lots of egg sacs ;)

View attachment 352931
Identify it, Irene. That looks like a variety of redback, aka black widow. Typical shape, messy web and habitat.

Safest to give it a good feed of "spider food" - the type that comes in a spray can ...

Then treat the entire area with a long lasting surface spray.

We get them in our garage too. They like darkish moist places.

Their bite is potentially deadly, and very nasty if not so.

Identify it, Irene. That looks like a variety of redback, aka black widow. Typical shape, messy web and habitat.

Safest to give it a good feed of "spider food" - the type that comes in a spray can ...

Then treat the entire area with a long lasting surface spray.

We get them in our garage too. They like darkish moist places.

Their bite is potentially deadly, and very nasty if not so.
Anything in Australia is potentially deadly !!! This is the Brown Button Spider / widow, all the same family.
Yes - nasty bite but apparently not fatal for this local variety. We leave her in peace (yes it's a dark spot)
and I'm sure she (and her spawn) cleans up other unwanted creepy crawlies

I'm not for killing anything apart from mosquitoes and cockroaches, although I've seen my son pick up
cockroaches by hand and usher them outdoors ... with me SCREAMING in horror while he's doing so.

1671105029948.png

Back