Show: Tools, fixtures, and jigs

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
I searched and poked around the forums and didn't see a similar thread title, so here goes. This thread is a showcase of tools, fixtures, and jigs used to accomplish one or more tasks. Feel free to add your own.

I'll start with a simple contraption I made to cut and glue the scarf joint for a tenor guitar neck. It consists of two pieces of wood glued together at a 13 degree angle. Behind it you can see the two halves of the body mold, and further back, the Indian Rosewood guitar back with the Spruce bracing glued in place.

P1020923.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1020925.JPG

My latest acquisition arrived yesterday, a bandsaw for my Shopsmith. My old freestanding unit is broken, and the part I need is on nationwide backorder until at least mid-May. In the meantime, I've been unable to proceed on several projects. I've been interested in the Shopsmith bandsaw for a while, but they tend to be rather dear in price. I found an early model on eBay at a very attractive price, and quickly grabbed it before someone else could. It needed a good cleaning before I could reassemble it, but it works well, and now I'm back up to full speed on my woodworking projects. Pic is from my ancient Galaxy S5 Sport.

20190410_161548.jpg

The band saw in the pic above has been very handy of late. Among other things, I cut out the contraption in the next image in just a few minutes. It's a body mold for a tenor ukulele. The pics show it being used to hold everything in alignment while the tentalones are being installed, then in the final pic, the top is being glued in place while the jig to the right holds a tenor guitar body while the head and tail blocks are glued. Lot of good progress the last few days.

DSCF8081.JPG

DSCF8084.JPG

DSCF8085.JPG

Sometimes my craft work requires me to leave the cozy confines of my basement workshop and go up into the garage, where I can make all the noise and sawdust I want. Of course I use plenty of safety gear, including dust and noise protection. I also have an upright dust collector.

Over the course of two nights, I spent about 4 hours turning a scrap piece of Spanish Cedar into enough reverse kerfed lining for my next 3 instruments. I guess I also need to count the several hours I spent over the weekend making a small parts sled for my table saw. I’ve had that hunk of scrap Cedar in my shop for about 15 years, thinking I would find a use for it some day.

DSCF8292.JPG

DSCF8293.JPG

DSCF8309.JPG

DSCF8305.JPG

DSCF8308.JPG

I just completed 3 days of marathon shop time, finishing the second of my two-clamp project from wood scraps found around my shop. The wood scraps I used for #2 are shown in the first two pics. The larger clamp has 3 pieces of wood; the smaller has 12. My family says I can be obsessive when I'm into a project. I like to think of it as "highly focused".

Clamps1.jpg

Clamps2.jpg

Clamps3.jpg

My mint UK-made Record Plough Plane arrived today, complete with the original instructions and a full set of very sharp cutting irons in both metric and imperial sizes. I took it right out of the box, assembled it, and tested it on some well seasoned White Oak. Once I got the depth of cut tweaked, it sliced through the rock hard White Oak effortlessly.

Record 044c.jpg

Back