Show "Trucks"

An old farm truck sits waiting patiently next to the large old horse trailer which it hauls around on occasion, enjoying 'time off'.

GX8_June20_FarmTruck&HorseTrailer.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong, gearheads!) that this is the front grill of an International (short for International Harvester) pickup truck, a truck manufacturer here in North America which has gone the way of the dinosaurs. But look at those lines...!

GX9_July6_21_yellow_truck_grill.jpg

On second thought, this may be one of a new breed of hybrid mechanical dinosaurs that are preparing to sally forth, and rule the world!

This ancient Dodge truck sits semi-abandoned just outside of Ashland, Oregon.

XPro3_Sept10_21_Dodge_truck_on_road.jpg

I imagine when it was first designed, these lines were the epitome of clean, modern 20th Century Industrial Design---

XPro3_Sept10_21_Dodge_truck_hood.jpg

But the passing years and seasons have left their mark---

XPro3_Sept10_21_Dodge_truck_door.jpg

What may once have been a bumper has been overtaken by rust which, as the saying goes, "never sleeps"---

XPro3_Sept10_21_Dodge_truck_rusty_bumper.jpg

It looks to me more like a battle-scarred ancient warrior, than a mere vehicle.

I think one of my favorite details is what must once have been a red plastic reflector near the front - which at some point, somehow, melted. But to me it looks like nothing so much as a scar from an alien ray gun---

XPro3_Sept10_21_Dodge_truck_melted_turn_signal.jpg

I left this ancient Dodge sleeping quietly, dreaming of a glorious return to the road in a future existence.

View attachment 270091

I imagine when it was first designed, these lines were the epitome of clean, modern 20th Century Industrial Design---

View attachment 270092

View attachment 270093

What may once have been a bumper has been overtaken by rust which, as the saying goes, "never sleeps"---

View attachment 270094

I think one of my favorite details is what must once have been a red plastic reflector near the front - which at some point, somehow, melted. But to me it looks like nothing so much as a scar from an alien ray gun---

View attachment 270096

I left this ancient Dodge sleeping quietly, dreaming of a glorious return to the road in a future existence.
Superb series, Miguel, and from my very European perspective, quite unique. Thanks for sharing.

M.

View attachment 270091

View attachment 270092

View attachment 270093

View attachment 270094

View attachment 270096

Great series, but every time I see your abandoned Oregon vehicles, I'm reminded of a post-apocalyptic Stephen King novel, The Stand. I guess my mind works in strange ways sometimes.

Great series, but every time I see your abandoned Oregon vehicles, I'm reminded of a post-apocalyptic Stephen King novel, The Stand. I guess my mind works in strange ways sometimes.

I can relate to the Stephen King "The Stand" resonance - there definitely may be some inspiration there. Great novel. And, believe it or not, it was published... (dramatic pause) ... all the way back in 1978. Nearly a quarter century ago. But it still feels contemporary in many ways.

This old Farmall tractor sits alongside a highway in southern Oregon.

XPro3_Jan26_22_Farmall_tractor_front.jpg

Something about its squared-off, industrial and functional design, stands in extreme contrast to the cookie-cutter clean modern lines of 99% of all the cars and pickup trucks which drive by.

XPro3_Jan26_22_Farmall_tractor_profile.jpg

I imagine that back in the good ole' days when this tractor was first manufactured, form and function were valued much more highly than 'design'.

XPro3_Jan26_22_Farmall_tractor_exhaust.jpg

As in the early stages of automotive design, headlights were functional external accessories and not an integral part of the vehicle.

XPro3_Jan26_22_Farmall_tractor_headlight.jpg

One final angle, of the entire tractor--

XPro3_Jan26_22_Farmall_tractor_side.jpg

Back