Leica Show us your film Leica

10801773_767855583262801_5063586774279302451_n.jpg

Received my reprint of HCB's Decisive Moment yesterday. Shown with my Leica I (Model E) from 1938.

Mr. Flibble - How do you like those metal leica film cases? I've seen those on eBay and was thinking of bidding on them but they always seem to come with the self loading film rolls which I wouldn't use.

Hey Rick,

Do you use the Model 1 on your "wartime" adventures? Nice camera.

What do you think about the HCB reprint? I'm considering buying a copy, if I can find one.

Regards
John Neal

Mijo, I don't use the film cannisters (or the reloadable cassettes). They're mainly case-stuffers and display items for me. I don't think the regular 35mm cassettes will fit them very well. The old Kodak screw-top cannisters are a better option.

John, I've carried the camera with me a few times (at WW2 events and remembrances). Bought it from KEH a few years ago. It was sold as "inoperative". But I still haven't figured what was supposed to be wrong with it.

I don't have the original Decisive Moment to compare it to. It's my first collection of HCB photos as well, some of the enlargements suffere a bit in sharpness, especially the two-page spread ones. But then again, Sharpness was considered overrated by HCB ;)
Quality of the book and cover is pretty high. Some folks have complained about the quality of the printing, but I don't really see it.
Also...it's friggin' huge!

Rick,

I'm still hoping for one of those KEH bargains - maybe one day?

I might try the book - I did see an extremely scruffy copy of the original for sale not so long ago, but could have bought a couple of good bodies for the asking price. As I recall, the quality of repro was good, but not that good. As HCB suggested, sharpness must be a bourgeois concept ;)

I'm trying to resist film bodies having, supposedly, gone digital this year, but I'm finding small jewel-like cameras hard to resist - I have to have a couple of Barnacks kicking around and have a thing for the XA and XA2, the Rollei S and even the Lomo LC-A. I wonder what else fits in that bag?

My Epson R-D1 is getting on in years, I wish I could replace it with a full frame M for my digital urges. No cash for it though.

My last camera buy is a Russian Agat-18K half frame...yes I'm at that sad point now :D

My Epson R-D1 is getting on in years, I wish I could replace it with a full frame M for my digital urges. No cash for it though. My last camera buy is a Russian Agat-18K half frame...yes I'm at that sad point now :D

You should see some real bargains nowdays on X Varios and Leica 'T's.

Yup, they must've got the bugs worked out by then. The vulcanite is perfect and the viewfinder immaculate. Rangefinder patch nice and contrasty. Only that one dent near the rewind knob.

Back