Leica Show us your Leica M camera(s)

Raid

All-Pro
Film: M3 and M6 (0.85)
Digital: M8 and M9

Shown with Zeiss G Planar 45/2 converted to M; original Prominent Nokton with adapter; Voigtlaender Heliar 50/3.5; Summilux pre-asph 35/1.4.

Leica%20M%20Cameras%203-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Leica%20M%20Cameras%202-XL.jpg

Leica%20M%20Cameeras%201-XL.jpg

not artsy or sexy....just a quick snap. Minus the M5....which is out for the week. they are all interesting and usefull in their own way. The CLE is very useful and it mounts collapsibles. The CL is , well, a CL. I like them. M4_P my first M. M3 is a very sentimental favorite, the one I like to shoot the most. Mr Zhou the case maker.
20160417_184719.jpg

Do you still have your M8, Brian?

Used it yesterday, with the Konica 50/1.7...

by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

13655604264_2cb31e8159_o.jpg
M8 vs M9 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

21338067009_66eaee854c_o.jpg
m8_nikkor5cmF14 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

The M8 gets a lot of use. I use M8RAW2DNG with it 99% of the time. The M8 has higher dynamic range than the M9, and of course has 1/8000th shutter speed. The CCD in mine is perfect, no dead pixels. IF I ever sell it, will be with some interesting lenses hacked into M-Mount and tuned just for it. The crop factor makes it easier to make RF cams.

Hard to believe this camera came out 10 years ago. Leica had a huge learning curve to get over with moving to digital. My opinion- the single biggest error that could have easily been corrected was the lossy compression scheme of the M8. The High-ISO performance of the M8 was crippled by this scheme. Using M8RAW2DNG, High-ISO performance is equal to the M9.

Last edited:
A couple years ago I was putting a Sonnar 5cm f1.5 that I converted to Leica mount in the Mail, told my wife I had converted about 50 of them. She asked why so many- told her they paid for my M9 and M Monochrom.

I learned that you rarely lose money on lenses.

Back