Sony show us your RX1

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
Are the RX1 shooters so busy shooting that they have no time to take photos of their well dressed cameras? or is it that there are so few accessories. Let's see them in cases, with viewfinders or wrist straps or neck straps. How do you roll?

Not much to see. Just the basic camera adorned with a JJC knockoff lens hood, an Abramson soft-release, and Gariz cap-keeper. The EVF mostly lives on the camera. I used to take it off a fair amount, worried it would get knocked off during use, but I found a trick with a rubber band run internally around the mounting area that's totally hidden and assures that the EVF will NOT come off accidentally. So now it stays on pretty much always. (edit - for a demonstration of how this works, click here) The cap keeper is nice for casual shooting but if I'm out specifically to do a lot of shooting, I take off the tether and stick the cap in a pocket.... The strap is an A&A "easy slider" sling type strap, which is my favorite strap EVER - instantly adjustable from super long to super taught around your body and without a lot of imposing hardware. So if I'm hiking, I can use it like a sling stap and pull it tight against my back or side, and I can instantly lengthen it to take a shot or to pull it over my arm and use like a regular neck strap at whatever length I want to. I have one of these for the RX1 and one for the Fuji. Steve Huff has a demo video of how it works somewhere on his site and I may never use anything else on a camera that needs something more than a wrist strap... Of course its A&A and ridiculously expensive for a bit of nylon and plastic and there are cheaper alternatives that do about the same thing. But they all seem to have a lot of hardware for a tripod mount and they're just generally more imposing and seem built for larger cameras. I tried a Joby version and sent it right back - it was less than half the price but I'd never have used it for all of the hardware and padding. This is overpriced based on materials but totally worth it (to me) on function.

8686109788_7778a6f29e_b.png

RX1 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 68562
RX1-2 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

lYk3vJI.jpg

naked or not ? that is the question

I settled half way with a Gariz bikini

The bob was nice whilst it lasted. It unscrewed itself and got lost .....

myrx1withgariz.jpg

It finally arrived!

Thanks everyone for encouraging me to sell my nex and lenses for this.

It is a pretty hefty, solid cam. Long time I have not felt such quality since I sold my Contax's. And I had almost all of them: RTS II, RTS III, N1, NX, G2 and 645.

Awesome lens too!

Strap, made by myself using 550 paracord and the snake knot. The lens hood is UNX 8118 by UN-Ltd in Japan.

Waiting for a Gariz case (not the really expensive one, but the 'bikini' type as shown above here) It will give a bit more extra protection. It was excellent with the NEX 7 I sold so I want another one for the RX1 now.

Also, I am in the UK, where can I get good quality soft releases? I have seen some on ebay shops. I am unsure why the £20 releases would be any better than the cheaper ones? If they are made of metal anyways. If they exists in brass, that would be a major plus.

Any advise on those please?

rx1.jpg

Welcome aboard - love the strap n hood. Also in UK at the mo...and having paid silly prices for Bips Bops (or whatever there names are) for £20, then losing them within weeks of use I decided to get a cheapie off a Hong Kong eBayer for around £3ish, it's metal, perfectly finished and matches the coppery red tone of the lens, although I notice you've blacked yours out (I like it!)...I got 2 and haven't lost em yet.

Can provide a link if you like the one in my pic.

Hi Paps,

Sure, I am interested in the ebay links. I am just unsure how a £20 could be that much better made than a cheaper one because of the basic material and method used to make these things.

Also, there is a reason for my using tape on the orange ring around the lens. It isn't much because of aesthetics. I did the same thing, pretty much, on my NEX 7 when I had it because the Zeiss 24mm was the lens that was attached to it most of the time. It is for dust sealing.

In this video, you can see that the part of the lens that meets the body is the orange ring. That is, from the outside, the part where dust could get in and sit on the sensor like some people have reported in other forums.

A 5-Minute Video Showing How the Sony RX1 is Assembled

So, I decided that to avoid dust collecting there (because it appears relatively easy to get dust in between the focusing ring and the lens body on the ridges) I would then put some tape around it mildly going onto the body, thus producing a 'tent' effect around it. I am using black masking tape, which will leave very easy to remove residue in the long term.

The hood is made of a type of hard plastic (harder than the Zeiss 24mm lens hood plastic) so it feels tough enough. Because the hood is small enough (as in, not too long) then I don't mind keeping it on all the time. It comes with a simple nice hood so you can leave the metal (and I bet expensive to replace) hood of the lens at home.

I just went out, for the first time now that the days are nice and I got time, to give the cam a proper run. I will post some photos later on the RX1 images thread soon.

Cheers,

Hi Paps,

Sure, I am interested in the ebay links. I am just unsure how a £20 could be that much better made than a cheaper one because of the basic material and method used to make these things.

Also, there is a reason for my using tape on the orange ring around the lens. It isn't much because of aesthetics. I did the same thing, pretty much, on my NEX 7 when I had it because the Zeiss 24mm was the lens that was attached to it most of the time. It is for dust sealing.

In this video, you can see that the part of the lens that meets the body is the orange ring. That is, from the outside, the part where dust could get in and sit on the sensor like some people have reported in other forums.

A 5-Minute Video Showing How the Sony RX1 is Assembled

So, I decided that to avoid dust collecting there (because it appears relatively easy to get dust in between the focusing ring and the lens body on the ridges) I would then put some tape around it mildly going onto the body, thus producing a 'tent' effect around it. I am using black masking tape, which will leave very easy to remove residue in the long term.

The hood is made of a type of hard plastic (harder than the Zeiss 24mm lens hood plastic) so it feels tough enough. Because the hood is small enough (as in, not too long) then I don't mind keeping it on all the time. It comes with a simple nice hood so you can leave the metal (and I bet expensive to replace) hood of the lens at home.

I just went out, for the first time now that the days are nice and I got time, to give the cam a proper run. I will post some photos later on the RX1 images thread soon.

Cheers,

Thanks. Worrying stuff though.

...and I just tried a wall at f22....to find this:

HEH1wtW.jpg

So depressed, then I thought I'll try rocket blowing all the nooks n crannies...I failed and it was still there. Hrrrmmmph.

Next step, a vacuum cleaner attachment...nothing, UNTIL I opened up the flash and battery compartment and low n behold it's now clear...YAY.

Thanks for the tip, I'm taping it up now. Can't believe Sony overlooked the sealing.

Thanks. Worrying stuff though.

...and I just tried a wall at f22....to find this:

HEH1wtW.jpg

So depressed, then I thought I'll try rocket blowing all the nooks n crannies...I failed and it was still there. Hrrrmmmph.

Next step, a vacuum cleaner attachment...nothing, UNTIL I opened up the flash and battery compartment and low n behold it's now clear...YAY.

Thanks for the tip, I'm taping it up now. Can't believe Sony overlooked the sealing.

Wow. Glad you got that sorted! I didn't want to freak anyone out. I just thought, by looking at the video, that the sealing wouldn't be very good. I experienced my first dust on sensor issue with a Canon G10 because of it's telescopic zoom lens. It really annoyed me, but what was more annoying was the £100 price tag for cleaning it! So I gave up and its not gathering dust.

On the other hand, I would not be surprised if the RX100 gets it too. Again, its the telescopic lens thing. Touching wood, crossing fingers and praying the RX100 or RX1 get any dust. Hopefully the tape will do the job!

Can you please show us which vacuum attachment are you using? Are you using those canned air vacuum mods? you know, the ones that while blowing air out one way are sucking from another inlet?

Also, where can I buy your soft releases? I really want to get one!

Cheers!

PS: You may want to re-tape every few months just to check the seals are nice and tight ;)

Hello Errz,

Welcome to SC. How do you like the Gariz handmade case? I am thinking of getting one of those but besides the left hand side (the side where the focus selection wheel is at) more cover, I wonder if the fit is any better than the more common case. Does the grip really add something?

Nice combo.

Back