Fuji Show what your adapted lens looks like on your Fuji camera

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
Surprised I didn't see a thread by this title. I suppose not as many people are using legacy glass on X-mount cameras as on Sony and even Olympus. Still, feel free to add your own here if you are so inclined. Here's my recently acquired X-T1 plus a Minolta MD 28mm f/2.8.

TT

DSCF0488.jpg

I like to use my old lenses, I have a collection that spans 40 years. I've kept the good stuff, hoping for a system like Fujifilm to put them back into rotation.

The X-T1 is wearing a Tamron 135mm f2.8 that I bought new in 1977. The pictures below are from my wife's garden.

The next two pictures were taken with an old Russian-made Jupiter 8, 50mm f2. I added a 12mm extension tube for the close-up. Not bad for a 60+ year old lens.

Last but not least, one of my favorite lenses, on old Fuji screw mount 28mm f3.5, also bought in 1977.

I really enjoy my Fuji equipment, I have a large Canon EOS digital kit, but I haven't touched it since I bought my X-E1, with 18-55 f2.8-4 lens.

I used to have one foot in Canon, and had some nice Canon glass to fool with. Running the cheap Fotosay adapter was a joy.
I learned the trick to setting the aperture BEFORE you removed a Canon lens from a Canon body... I would pre-set a couple lenses in this fashion, and stick them in the camera bag.

Fun to make a day of "adapted shooting", and see what you get later on when you get home. Certainly not an exact science, a lot of hit or miss to be sure.

I don't have any of these wonderful Canon lenses any longer... but they were GREAT on a XE-1.

Canon's old 17-40L was kind of a 'meh' lens on CANON BODIES. Hang it on a FUJI sensored body, and it's wondrous landscape lens when shot slow.
It was the perfect balance and feel on an XE-1 or XPro1, although I only used it from a tripod.

Can-17-40L_fuji XE-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1740.jpg

Canon's great, compact + fast 85mm was also great on a Fuji body. But admittedly, often hard to snag the correct focus when hand-held.

85mil.jpg

Lastly, it's funny how sometimes the cheapest alternative can deliver the finest (or easiest) results.
Canon's cheap, nasty plastic "nifty fifty".

Again, I would preset the aperture on a Canon body and go have fun.

fuji-50.jpg

The little 50mm's are most exciting when shot "fast" anyway. I parked it on F/1.8 and left it there.

From a day trip, I took some pot shots at a friend's Harley with the adapted cheap plastic Canon 50.

He loved the image.

Ryans_bike001.jpg

~ thanks for looking!

paul

Fun to make a day of "adapted shooting", and see what you get later on when you get home. Certainly not an exact science, a lot of hit or miss to be sure.

I don't have any of these wonderful Canon lenses any longer... but they were GREAT on a XE-1.
I sold my X-E1, but adapted lenses work great on the X-T1, as well. I have a few left after clearing out most of my old gear. The Pentax 50mm/1.4 is brilliant if one wants a short telephoto.

I sold my XE-1, but adapted lenses work great on the X-T1, as well. I have a few left after clearing out most of my old gear. The Pentax 50mm/1.4 is brilliant if one wants a short telephoto.

From what I have read, the pseudo focus peaking assistance works better on the Fuji's that came later, or perhaps your X-T1.
It is certainly hit or miss on the simplistic focus assist of the XE-1.

I sometimes liked the "split screen" focus assist (XT1). I often didn't like the peaking. And now, pretty much everytime I use a MF lens (generally the rokinon 12), I just roll without assistance. The EVF is big enough that, with the diopter set right, I can generally tell when that wiiiiide lens is focused right. Hell, in bright light, I just put it at 5.6 and pull focus back a touch from infinity, and pretty much everything's in focus.

But it would be harder with longer lengths. With the rokkor 55, I think I preferred to have the 100% crop inset at right, now that I think back on it.

Sweet. I have only briefly seen a XT-1 close up to hold in my hand, and I was impressed.
I miss the flippy screen of my old Canon T3i on many occasions, while trying to fetch an image from a low perspective, etc., while I try to be 'artsy'.

I love the Rokinon - Samyang stuff. Had a 8mm fisheye on my Canon that was very reliable. Like you say, pretty well adjust it just back from infinity, and you could rock and roll.
I briefly had a Samyang 16mm prime... really a nice, well made bit of glass for the money. I parked it on a XPro-1, thinking I was going to change my world (of landscape shooting).

I think I shot 700 test images over the course of a couple weeks, and perhaps 3 or 4 I kept. That is no reflection on the Samyang lens, but more of a case of me not being able to infinitely adjust my eyepiece, so I got rid of both and went back to a XE-1, and popped for the Fuji 16mm (which I love!).

I've been shocked at not just the image quality of that rokinon 12, but at its ability to just MAKE me want to use it, month after month. I keep finding that I

1) enjoy using it as a tool as much / more than other lenses, and
2) get shots with that focal length that later really pop to me

I keep trying to go out without it, and when I do, I almost immediately regret it. That guy and the 35 1.4 are amazing bang-for-the-buck, but I digress. Bang-for-buck is pretty much owned by sub-$50 manual focus lenses of good quality from the film era. Yes, XF glass is better in every way. But almost never 20x better.

Not to get off topic, but is the Rokinon 12mm better than the 10mm?

My favorite adapted lens currently is the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5. I think it would work better on a newer X series camera than on the X-E1 I currently use, due to newer models offering more peaking colors. I don't have a picture of the combo, but the IQ from it does match the X-E1 feel.

Olympus pen 40mm f1.4 Nikon 135mm f2 AIS and an old 300mm f2.8 I use them on my X-E1. Tons of fun to shoot with. Incredible shots when I get the focus but the focus peaking is next to worthless. Maybe it's due to me using telephoto lens mostly but I usually just go with eyeballing it

Attachments

• _DSC4633.jpg
    _DSC4633.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 77
  • _DSC4635.jpg
    _DSC4635.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 72
  • _DSC4636.jpg
    _DSC4636.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 78
Some photos of my XT1 with Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.7, Hexar 135mm f3.5 and 200mm f4. Also with Nikon 24mmAF f2.8 & 35mmAi'd f2.8. The XT1 is so much easier to use with manual focus than the XE2. I get pretty good results. My two faves are the 50mm Hexanon and the 35mm Nikon. The price/quality ratio on all these is excellent. All photos with iPhone 6.
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG

Back