Show "Windows"

44065037175_916e1b91b3_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
La Congregation du Saint-Esprit — Window - PARIS-2018-75 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

On our Paris Charms & Secrets electric bike tour of Paris we visited a very interesting church which Eric described as being the oldest in Paris. I believe it was the La Congregation du Saint-Esprit but I am not 100% sure.

It was interesting trying to shoot inside the dimly lit church hand-held with a F4.0-5.6 lens.

45188543451_55bf0c51c9_o.jpg
The Shutters of Le Puy-en-Velay - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-06 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

I got rather fascinated by the shutters on the buildings in the old part Le Puy-en-Velay. Both the colour and the contrast of new and old caught my eye with this building.

Day 0 of 12 - Le Puy-en-Velay: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

44625428784_c2d7916669_o.jpg
The Shutters of Le Puy-en-Velay - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-07 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

I got rather fascinated by the shutters on the buildings in the old part Le Puy-en-Velay.

Day 0 of 12 - Le Puy-en-Velay: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

30456952807_46eaa25fe6_o.jpg
The Historical Quarter - Le Puy-en-Velay - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-08 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

I got rather fascinated by the shutters on the buildings in the old part Le Puy-en-Velay.

2017_1220_04355800.jpg

41786114855_908573b2cd_o.jpg
Electricity Substation, Fremantle (fmr) - (1933) - Dated Buildings and Cornerstones - {002} by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of Waymarking.

The Western Australian Heritage Council state listing of the building describes it thus:

"The electricity substation (1933) comprises a double volume brick Electricity Substation (1933) in the Inter-War Functionalist style, and [an] outbuilding with adjoining Workshop (fmr) (1939) has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons;

- the place is associated with the story of the provision of power in Western Australia, having been originally constructed for the ‘Fremantle Municipal Tramways and Electric Lighting Board’ and subsequently taken over as a Substation by the State Energy Commission in 1952;
- the main Substation building is a fine example of a substantial industrial building constructed in the 1930s in the Inter-War Functionalist style, which demonstrates the characteristics of 1930s industrial architecture being both practical, functional and aesthetically pleasing;
- the place is valued by the local and wider community following its adaptation to an Energy Museum and an Energy Education Centre, which operated from 1989 until 2009, continuing the buildings long association with the story of the provision of power; and the place played an important part in the development of the Port City of Fremantle in that it enabled the expansion of the tramway system, and later the subsequent increase in demand for electricity."

An interesting reading of the tramways in early Fremantle times can be found on Fremantle Stuff.

Back