Nature Show "Winter"

summerkl

Veteran
Name
Kevin
It's getting cold out there - only serious photographers will brave the temperatures:D

I'll start with a scene of an early Vancouver scene.

20101122-DSC02337-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20101122-DSC02361-1.jpg

Shot with Sony Nex-3 and Helios 44m

Agreed. All three have both the sunlight and the snow - super in color and very realistic looking. Kevin, that first one - the view, where was that taken? And your father-in-law's...the snow covered tennis courts amidst those beautiful trees... Is that a sign about the tennis courts that appears to have a wooden horses's head as part of it, or is my imagination at work? I love the sunlight on the snow - your closeup of the leaf is also very nice. You do so well with your NEX with that "Helios". Perhaps Helios has borrowed some strength from the sun god?;)

Winter here tends to be wet and windy, and if we get any snow, a very rare occurrence, it is also wet and horrible, that's what comes of living in the otherwise mild south west, so you've a challenge here. Winter hasn't really arrived yet, although it is forecast to be colder by the end of the week with the possibility of frost. Being so near the coast that will clear early, so have to get up and get out early, what a way to challenge a guy.

Barrie

What a difference location makes, eh? We've been a bit too warm for November here in south eastern New York. It's about 44 Fahrenheit here. I like the cold as long as it's sunny.

I admit I am not brave enough right now. It is my -10 Celsius or 14 Fahrenheit. Following Barrie's lead, I should post a photo of my cup of hot chocolate :)

As long as we can all have a cup. The forecast for Saturday here looks pretty cold, so maybe I'll get a wintery photograph to post, although it's most likely to be a frosty sort of one, hopefully from the lane up from my cottage, then I can get back in the warm quickly, although the wind is also going to be strong so I'll have to find somewhere sheltered. (far too many commas in that sentence, never mind).

Barrie

Although I am officially not ready for winter - nor snow - I am very appreciative of this thread.

Penny, you must give us a link to your blipfoto so we can compare and contrast. Why not add it to your signature? Let me know if I can help. Which camera did you use for this - the S95? It looks cold!

Mal, love that silhouette in your first, but I have to say your color shots are wonderful. Remind me what "PP" software you use?

I can't believe you all already are in the throes of winter - or those north of you are. I guess I need to revisit my globe.;)

Winter finally arrives in the form of snow in south Devon

I did promise I would come out from sitting in front of my fire, well I got up this morning to get ready to go off to my Doctor's appointment only to find snow on the ground, doctor snowed in and a hastily rearranged appointment for later this morning, so I was only able to take some quick shots of the lane outside my cottage.
Considering the lens is wide open it's not too bad a shot.

P1000824.jpg

Panasonic GF1 with 15mm, f/4.5 Super Heliar at iso 100, 1/30 second, f/4.5

Barrie

The snow has even reached Bordeaux - never usually snows and particularly not in December - but I looked out of the window this morning and saw the following:

We live in the "country" out here but have "decamped" to Bordeaux for a few months while the builders "knock the house to pieces"

Venturing further from my fire

I did venture further from the warmth of my fire on this snowy morning (well snowy for south Devon).

P1000829.jpg

Panasonic GF1 with Voigtlander 15mm, f/4.5 at f/8
The water issuing from the hole in the wall is the overflow from the spring that provides the water supply for most of the village

P1000832.jpg

A proper Devon lane, this is about 200 metres from my cottage

P1000837.jpg

A view south from the high ground above my village, behind me is the carriage road built some 1000 years ago for the daughter of King Canute to link the royal estates of Chillington and West Alvington.

Barrie

Back