Completely agree, the more into the woods one goes, the more tricky, the light's all over the place.
I don't mind the light, it'll do your bidding when you mind your timing. The hardest part to me is the disappearance of depth perception when stereo vision is lost, i.e. when stuff is photographed it turns into a two dimensional image. So some other visual depth cues have to be there so the picture doesn't become a mere busy mess. Fog, sidelight, something else. Sometimes I shoot a prime wide open to get some sharpness falloff to convey a sense of depth in the final image.

Another thing is how important even small adjustments to the composition start to make when there's a few trees in the picture. Small up-down and left-right adjustments can make or break an image.

Talking about light..Stainland forest
2021_0406_18262900-01.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
2021_0406_18260300-02.jpg
2021_0406_18251100-01.jpg

Thanks a lot for the speedy reply - I'll merge three of them and move the fourth over to a proper place. And I'll leave this little exchange intact as well - maybe it'll help others avoid forking off themed threads on the matter (or in general).

M.
Along those lines Matt, a few years ago I made a thread "Wild Flowering Things". Feel free to merge it into the much larger Wildflowers in the Wild thread.

Today I almost got lost in the woods. It's nice when you have trail markers, but less nice when they vanish mid-trip in the middle of the woodlands. Even nicer when it starts snowing in may, so snow covers the trail... Anywho, still nice trip. Just hoped I had more time, but had to get the kid from daycare.

DSC03440-1-LR_s.jpg

DSC03475-3-LR_s.jpg

When I got here, the devil's nest, I hoped to see a pond in the foreground. Well, it was there, but frozen solid:

DSC03522-4-LR_s.jpg

Maybe next time it'll be water. After that it won't be long before it's gone altogether.

DSC03604-5-LR_s.jpg

I ventured deeper into the forest, to a part I had not explored before. Lots of beautiful rocks there.

DSC03637-6-LR_s.jpg

I thought it was supposed to be may. You know, spring and whatnot. But apparently I was wrong, since I got caught in a blizzard.

At least I have a ton of material to work with. 199 frames shot...

Back