Film Show: Your Old Pictures

A very young comedian and I had my old Nikon FTN with long lens.
martin1c.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a photo of the main street of Herzogenaurach, Germany. I spent several years there with the Army Security Agency unless I was sent elsewhere temporarily (TDY). I married my first wife there, had my first daughter there, and loved every moment. Herzogenaurach is a small town but was chosen for our base due to its proximity to the border and the safety of our listening devices. It is also famous for two brothers named Dassler, Adolf, and Rudolf. Adi, as he was called founded Adidas and Rudi founded Puma, and the companies still have home offices there. They actually took over our military base and have fantastic offices and outlet malls there. This photo was taken in 1963 with my Praktica FX and 58mm Meyer Primoplan 1.9.

Hauptstrasse 001.jpg

It is also famous for two brothers named Dassler, Adolf, and Rudolf. Adi, as he was called founded Adidas and Rudi founded Puma, and the companies still have home offices there.
I vaguely recall that story. Wasn't it the case that the brothers had a falling out, hence the separate Adidas and Puma companies in the same area making the same products?

I vaguely recall that story. Wasn't it the case that the brothers had a falling out, hence the separate Adidas and Puma companies in the same area making the same products?

Yes, they started out together and had to split the company. As you can guess, I am not a Nike, Under Armour, or other sportswear fan. Adidas is number one with Puma at least in the mix.

This is a photo of the main street of Herzogenaurach, Germany. I spent several years there with the Army Security Agency unless I was sent elsewhere temporarily (TDY). I married my first wife there, had my first daughter there, and loved every moment. Herzogenaurach is a small town but was chosen for our base due to its proximity to the border and the safety of our listening devices. It is also famous for two brothers named Dassler, Adolf, and Rudolf. Adi, as he was called founded Adidas and Rudi founded Puma, and the companies still have home offices there. They actually took over our military base and have fantastic offices and outlet malls there. This photo was taken in 1963 with my Praktica FX and 58mm Meyer Primoplan 1.9.

View attachment 397879
And a German veteran with one leg?

And a German veteran with one leg?

Yes, there were many when I was there. On my very first day in Germany, I was reporting to the IG Farben building in Frankfurt. One of the few times I was in uniform and an old lady on a bike hit me with her umbrella and told me to go home which I understood from my time in German language courses. Most were friendly but occasionally in the later hours of the days, after too many liters of beer, some old banned songs like the Horst Wessel song would signal the time for us Americans to leave the Gasthaus. My dad fought in Sicily, Italy, France, and Germany and when I left for my tour in Germany, he told me that I should understand where they were from mentally and give everyone a little slack.
The war was only over 16 years when I came there and there were lots of casualties of that awful war. The man I rented my house from had been shot several times during the Eastern campaign but he was my daughter's Godfather. He had been a major in the German army and was fortunate to be able to surrender to the Americans and even though his post-war confinement was harsh, he would always tell us about his good graces.

Like Quote Reply

It’s hard to grasp how disastrous that war was. Unfortunately one of many, and still counting.

Impressive thread, pictures and stories. Which also reminds me I need to get some equipment and get scanning. Lot’s of dia’s and negatives from my family. But also a collection from an old neighbour who after 1945 travelled a lot for work. As a hobby he started photographing, all Kodachrome. In the end I got the collection because his family was not interested, and they almost threw it away.

It’s hard to grasp how disastrous that war was. Unfortunately one of many, and still counting.

Impressive thread, pictures and stories. Which also reminds me I need to get some equipment and get scanning. Lot’s of dia’s and negatives from my family. But also a collection from an old neighbour who after 1945 travelled a lot for work. As a hobby he started photographing, all Kodachrome. In the end I got the collection because his family was not interested, and they almost threw it away.
I think that's what my older brother did with all my Mother's slides of her travels.

I think that's what my older brother did with all my Mother's slides of her travels.

This is going to get even worse with the "digital" generation.

I've made it a point to catalog all my stuff in Google Photo Albums. Some 20+ years and > 700 albums. All very easily accessed through a single webpage.

Not one of my family has any interest whatsoever.

I'm confident when I leave this earth, my Google account will go dormant and all this stuff will evaporate, never to be seen again.

In 50 years people will look back and wonder, where did it all go?

Back